How can I fix errors in my Java Complex Number Class Homework?

In summary: String converty1() { return ...}In summary, in this conversation, we discussed the creation of a class for complex numbers. The class contains instance variables for the complex number, a constructor to initialize these variables, methods to return the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, a method to compute the magnitude of the complex number, a method to convert the complex number to a string, and two static methods to perform operations on complex numbers. We also provided suggestions for improving the code, such as using this keyword appropriately, declaring accessibility of variables and methods, and returning values instead of passing in unnecessary variables.
Yeah, I just wanted to clarify the concept of scopes and how they affect visibility of variables in most general terms, without getting into the complexity of when shadowing is actually permissible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
Code:
int s = 10;	// Some class level variable

public int someRandomMethod(){
	int t = 2;

if (s > 100){
		int u = 2 / s;
		if(u > 250){
			return u;	// Leave the method and return the value of u
		}
		// If u <= 250 the code will leave the if/else block and continue at the EXIT POINT
	}
	else{						// If s was greater than 100, it won't go in here
		int u = (10 * t) - s;
		if(u < 25){
			return u;
		}
		// If u <= 25 the code will leave the if/else block and continue at the EXIT POINT
	}
	// EXIT POINT

// The compiler knows about s and t
	// The compiler does not know about u at this point because it can't look up and into brackets
	return 0;
}
Do you see why the compiler doesn't know about u at the end?

Yes, because u was defined within a set of brackets. The value of u used depends only on the value of s used. If s > 100, then u = 2/s is used. If s <= 100, (which since s = 10, is the case here), u = 10t -s. When the if/else block is finished, the compiler does not know about u.

What is the purpose of the return 0; statement?
Code:
            return 0;
}
After this final }, the compiler no longer knows about t (since it is defined within the method), but still knows about s since it is class level.

CAF123 said:
Yes, because u was defined within a set of brackets. The value of u used depends only on the value of s used. If s > 100, then u = 2/s is used. If s <= 100, (which since s = 10, is the case here), u = 10t -s
Don't worry about the calcuation or value of s. It's just an example. According to the initial description, s may have changed before the method is called.

CAF123 said:
What is the purpose of the return 0; statement?
Code:
            return 0;
}
The method requires you to return an int (i.e. public int someRandomMethod()). If it makes it all the way to the end, it has to return an int. I just hardcoded a 0 as a default.

CAF123 said:
After this final }, the compiler no longer knows about t (since it is defined within the method), but still knows about s since it is class level.
Yes, correct! :smile:

Now, can you tell me other places where you can and cannot put "int u" declarations without breaking the current example?

Could you declare it at the class level?

If so, how would references to both u's need to be handled in the method?

Can you declare it in other places within the method?

If so, where and why? Remember - without breaking the current example.

How do the changes affect what the compiler knows at different places?

Borg said:
Now, can you tell me other places where you can and cannot put "int u" declarations without breaking the current example?

Could you declare it at the class level?

If so, how would references to both u's need to be handled in the method?

Can you declare it in other places within the method?

If so, where and why? Remember - without breaking the current example.

How do the changes affect what the compiler knows at different places?

I think you can have the same effect by using Boolean statements:
Code:
Console myConsole = System.console();
String S = myConsole.readLine("Enter an integer value for s:");

int s = Integer.parseInt("S");

boolean condition1;
int u = 2/s;

condition1 = s > 100;

int p = 10*t - s; //All of this in the class, outwith the method.

public int someRandomMethod() {
       int t = 2;

if (condition1) {
                 return u;
     }else {
                 return p;
}
     return 0;
}
I realize I have introduced another variable p and set a condition on s, but is it ok?

Last edited:
CAF123 said:
I think you can have the same effect by using Boolean statements:
Code:
Console myConsole = System.console();

boolean condition1;
int u = 2/s;

condition1 = s > 100;

int t = 2;

if (condition1) {
                 return u;
     }else {
                 return p;
}
     return 0;
}
I realize I have introduced another variable p and set a condition on s, but is it ok?
I'm not sure what you're asking is OK. There is always a different way to write any program. My goal is just to describe how variables are scoped.

The main problem above is that while you can redefine a class level s inside of a method, you can't set it to something different within the scope of where you've declared it. You are attempting to define s four times at the class level. You can't do that.

BTW, It's good practice to compile every once in a while to make sure that you haven't introduced errors like that. Since you're just starting, I would perform test compiles more often. Of course when you do that, you have to make sure that all of your methods return something if they're not set to void.

Let's look at my example again. I've added four new declarations for u in multiple places and commented them out. Try uncommenting them one at a time and recompiling to see what works and what doesn't. Don't pay attention to whether or not it's logical to put u in any place or another - just focus on whether or not the compiler will allow it.

Code:
public static int s = 10;	// Some class level variable
//	private int u = 0;

int t = 2;
//	int u = 0;

if (s > 100) {
		int u = 2 / s;
		if (u > 250) {
		}
		// If u <= 250 the code will leave the if/else block and continue at the EXIT POINT
	}
	else {						// If s was greater than 100, it won't go in here
		int u = (10 * t) - s;
		if (u < 25) {
			return u;
		}
		// If u <= 25 the code will leave the if/else block and continue at the EXIT POINT
//		int u = 0;
	}
	// EXIT POINT

// The compiler does not know about u at this point because it can't look up and into brackets
//	int u = 0;
	return 0;
}

Borg said:
The main problem above is that while you can redefine a class level s inside of a method, you can't set it to something different within the scope of where you've declared it. You are attempting to define s [STRIKE]four[/STRIKE] two times at the class level. You can't do that.
Just noticed that I wrote four.

Hi Borg,
I have tried what you asked and I have found the code compiled with two placings of u. I have put reasons commented in the code:
Code:
public class Random1 {

public static int s = 10;	// Some class level variable
//	private int u = 0;      //will compile if placed here - while in method, we don't care there exists a class level varriable called u- if want to refer to class level, use this. construct.

int t = 2;
//	int u = 0; //u cannot go here since it is again defined intu=2/s and intu=10t-s within the method.

if (s > 100) {
		int u = 2 / s;
		if (u > 250) {
		}
	}
	else {						// If s was greater than 100, it won't go in here
		int u = (10 * t) - s;
		if (u < 25) {
			return u;
		}
//		int u = 0; //u cannot go here since it is already defined inside method.(i.e int u = 2/s above or int u = 10t-s)
	}
	// EXIT POINT

//	int u = 0; //ok to have here since u (private int u) defined outside method and intu=2/s and intu=10t-s defined inside brackets so compiler does not know about them.
	return 0;
} //close method
}

Borg said:
Just noticed that I wrote four.

At what two instances have I defined s? I tried to compile this and only 1 error appeared in the line condtion1 = s > 100; What I have tried to do here is make a Boolean condition, but perhaps what I wrote down does not qualify as a statement in Java.

CAF123 said:
Hi Borg,
I have tried what you asked and I have found the code compiled with two placings of u. I have put reasons commented in the code:
Yes, that's all correct - very good. Does it all make better sense now how variables are visible to the compiler throughout a class?

CAF123 said:
At what two instances have I defined s? I tried to compile this and only 1 error appeared in the line condtion1 = s > 100; What I have tried to do here is make a Boolean condition, but perhaps what I wrote down does not qualify as a statement in Java.
I misread your code. I see now that one of the variables is a capital S. By normal conventions, variables are Camel Case where the first word starts with a non-capitalized letter. I guess that caused me to see it wrong. The convention for class names is Camel Case where the first word starts with a capitalized letter. It makes it easier to read declarations like this:

Class...variable...Class
MyClass myClass = new MyClass();

CAF123 said:

The above statement for int s says that you want to parse the letter S and not the variable S. This is what confused me earlier when I thought that you were trying to parse a 5. It should be written this way (no quotes):
int s = Integer.parseInt(S);

For condition1, you can define condition1 = s > 100 but you can't split it when declaring it at the class level. Change this:
boolean condition1;

condition1 = s > 100;

To this:
boolean condition1 = s > 100;

I am having some difficulty in writing the code to produce some output. What I have is:
Code:
import java.io.Console;

public class Random {

int s = s;

boolean condition1 = s > 100;

int u = 2/s;

int t = 2;

if (condition1) {
                 return u;
     }else {
                 return p;
}

}

public static void main(String args[]) {

int s = Integer.parseInt(S);

}
}

I am not sure how to reference the method here. I think my next line in main method is something like myConsole.printf("The value returned is ...(reference method));, but I don't quite see how to do this. I realize this is off topic but I would like to see how to work the code.
Thanks.

Three main problems.

One, you haven't declared an instance of your class in main so there's no way to interact with an instance of it.

Two, move all of your variables into someRandomMethod(). The variables at class level get set when an instance of the class is created. From your code, it looks like you want to perform an action on those variables when you call the someRandomMethod() method.

Fix those two and the third might be more apparent.