How can I fix indent problems when using jEdit for f90 programming on Win7?

• Thread starter solarblast
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of jEdit for writing f90 programs on a Win7 operating system. While jEdit has been helpful, it has limited indent features which can cause issues when printing and moving the cursor. The conversation also suggests using alternative editors such as Crimson and Notepad++, which may have better features for f90 programming. Overall, the use of tabs in coding is discouraged and it is recommended to use spaces instead.
solarblast
I've been using jEdit for writing f90 programs. Win7. Although jEdit has been helpful, I see that with f90 it has limited indent features, and sometimes when I print I get odd indents. When moving the cursor on a line, sometimes odd things happen. For example, it appears that the cursor takes tab jumps. Tabs may be mixed among blanks spaces. Another editor for f90? Away to control it for f90?

Here's a small example of indent problems.

integer :: j
real :: a
a=3.0
do j=1,3
write(*,*) j + a
end do

There is no clear way to line these up. Unseen tabs may be the problem in jEdit.

Technology news on Phys.org
Well, that didn't quite work. Consider _ as a space.

integer :: j
real :: a
__a=3.0
__do j=1,3
_____write(*,*) j + a
__end do

I'd like to see:
__integer :: j
__real :: a
__a=3.0
__do j=1,3
_____write(*,*) j + a
__end do

I stopped using jEdit a looooong time ago.

One thing that is frown upon by many of us is the use of tabs, in the first place.

So, see if you can go to Options or Settings and look for a way to emulate tabs with spaces...I think there might be an option where you tell the editor that every time you press the tab key, it should use a certain number (typically 4) of spaces, instead.

Whenever I inherit a source, the first thing I do is a "search and replace" and get rid of the tabs...yes, it ends up misaligned and so I fix it.

Other nice editors are Crimson and Notepad++.

Related to How can I fix indent problems when using jEdit for f90 programming on Win7?

What is JEdit and why is it commonly used in scientific research?

JEdit is a free and open source text editor that is popular among scientists for its customizable features and support for various programming languages, including f90. It is often used for writing and editing code, as well as for organizing and managing large amounts of data.

Is JEdit compatible with f90, a language commonly used in scientific computations?

Yes, JEdit has built-in support for f90 and can be easily configured to highlight syntax and provide other useful features for programming in this language. It also allows for the use of external compilers and libraries, making it a versatile tool for scientific computations.

Can JEdit be used for debugging and testing f90 code?

Yes, JEdit offers a debugging plugin called JDebug that allows users to step through their code and identify errors or bugs. It also supports integration with various testing frameworks, making it a useful tool for ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of f90 programs.

Are there any limitations to using JEdit for f90 programming?

While JEdit is a powerful and widely used editor for f90, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not have all the advanced features and debugging capabilities of other integrated development environments (IDEs) specifically designed for f90. Additionally, it may require additional configuration for certain tasks, such as parallel programming.

Can JEdit be used for collaborative work on f90 projects?

Yes, JEdit supports plugins for version control systems like Git, allowing multiple users to work on the same f90 project simultaneously. It also has a built-in FTP/SFTP browser, making it easy to share and collaborate on code and data with colleagues.