How Can I Format My Paper in Double Column Using Latex and RevTex4?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, Richard showed you how to create a LaTex document that follows the format of a Physical Review paper. You need to follow the instructions in apssamp.tex to make sure your figures look correct.
robousy
Need Help with Latex and RevTex4!

Hi there,

I've written my first paper and need to submit it but getting the correct format is proving to be a HUGE nightmare that I've spend almost the last 6 hrs working on with only a little progress.

Ok - I want to use the Latex format (which I know how to use) but I want it to be in double column format.

I've downloaded Winedt, MikTex and RevTex4.

I've figured out how to get Winedt and MikTex to work together and can make a dvi file.

I now need to do the double column format and learn how to insert figures etc in the correct place.

It seems like you need a PhD in Latex to figure it all out.

How does RevTex4 work in conjunction with it all?

Does anyone have any quick(ish) help??
Thanks!

Richard

Physics news on Phys.org
The ReVTeX distribution comes with a sample file called apssamp.tex that gives examples of how to do all the things you're asking about (and about other ReVTeX related things). If you can't find it on your system, http://www.aip.org/pubservs/compuscript.html of it from AIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I am going to assume that you are trying to produce a typeset document that looks like one of Physical Review papers. Without any more info, I will then show you the beginnings of a typical PRL LaTex format:

\documentstyle[prl,aps,epsf]{revtex} \def\narrowtext{} \tighten \twocolumn
\input epsf.sty
\begin{document}

\title{Insert Your Clever Title here}
\author{
Author1, Author2, Author3
}
\address{
Physics Forums
}
\address{%
\begin{minipage}[t]{6.0in}
\begin{abstract}
Write your clever abstract here.
\typeout{polish abstract}
\end{abstract}
\pacs{PACS numbers: 29.25.Bx. 41.75.-i, 41.75.Lx}
\end{minipage}}

\maketitle
\narrowtext

Body of text here. Note that in PRL, one very seldom use section titles, since those take up too much space, and you only have 4 typeset pages to work with.

To insert PS or EPS figures, follow this format:

\begin{figure}
\vspace{-0.5cm}
\epsfysize=4.9in
\epsfbox{Fig1.eps}
\vspace{-7.8cm}
\caption{Your clever caption here.}
\label{fig1}
\end{figure}

Don't pay attention to the numbers in vspace and epsfysize. They depend on your figure and how much you need to adjust to make it look just right in your document.

\end{document}

Hey,

I followed the advice of following apssamp.tex and I seem to be making progress now.

Thanks for the advice!

Richard

Last edited:

Related to How Can I Format My Paper in Double Column Using Latex and RevTex4?

1. What is Latex and RevTex4?

Latex is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. RevTex4 is a specific package for Latex that is commonly used for writing scientific and technical papers.

2. How do I install Latex and RevTex4?

Latex and RevTex4 can be installed on most operating systems by downloading and installing a distribution package, such as MiKTeX or TexLive. These packages will include all the necessary components for using Latex and RevTex4, as well as a text editor for writing documents.

3. How do I format equations in Latex and RevTex4?

Equations can be formatted using specialized commands in Latex and RevTex4. These commands include \begin{equation} and \end{equation} for single-line equations, and \begin{align} and \end{align} for multiple-line equations. It is important to properly use these commands and include proper syntax for mathematical symbols and operators.

4. Can I include figures and tables in my Latex and RevTex4 document?

Yes, Latex and RevTex4 have built-in capabilities for including figures and tables in a document. These can be inserted using the \begin{figure} and \end{figure} or \begin{table} and \end{table} commands, respectively. Figures and tables can also be labeled and referenced within the document using specific commands.

5. Are there any online resources for learning Latex and RevTex4?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Latex and RevTex4. Some popular websites include Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and LaTeX Project. These websites offer tutorials, templates, and forums for users to learn and discuss Latex and RevTex4. Additionally, there are many books and online courses available for those who prefer a more structured learning approach.