How Can I Grow Crystals of My Platinum Complexes?

• Thread starter KarolinaPL
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is having difficulty growing crystals of platinum(II) complexes with substituted ammine ligands. They have tried DMF and acetonitrile as solvents, but neither worked. They are seeking advice on other solvents to try and possible recrystallization methods. Two recently developed methods for crystallization of similar compounds were also mentioned as potential options.
KarolinaPL
Hi! i prepare different platinum(II) complexes, derivatves of cisplatin, where one or two ammine ligands are substituted by bulky hydrophobc amine... i would like to grow crystals, but i have a problem with it... the solvent... they are usually poor soluble in water, good soluble in e.g. DMF... but DMF didnt work for crystals. In similar case, they used acetonitrile, i tried as well, it didnt work...

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
KarolinaPL said:
Hi! i prepare different platinum(II) complexes, derivatves of cisplatin, where one or two ammine ligands are substituted by bulky hydrophobc amine... i would like to grow crystals, but i have a problem with it... the solvent... they are usually poor soluble in water, good soluble in e.g. DMF... but DMF didnt work for crystals. In similar case, they used acetonitrile, i tried as well, it didnt work...

How, specifically, did those soluble solvents not work? Did the molecule decompose? Did it become some amorphous gel? Are DMF and acetonitrile the only solvent you have tried? Typically, searching for solvents for recrystallization require you to try out all the available solvents. DMSO, methanol, hexane, acetone, dimethylether, dichloromethane, chloroform, etc. There are lots of other solvents out there. If these relatively safe solvents don't work, try toluene, benzene, pyridine, etc.I can also suggest you several recrystallization methods you can try, but I would like to know above information first.

Related to How Can I Grow Crystals of My Platinum Complexes?

1. What are platinum-based complexes?

Platinum-based complexes are chemical compounds that contain platinum as a central atom, surrounded by other ligand atoms. These complexes are often used in medical and industrial applications due to their unique properties.

2. What are the properties of platinum-based complexes?

Platinum-based complexes are known for their high stability and resistance to corrosion. They also have a strong ability to bind to other molecules, making them useful in catalytic reactions and drug delivery systems.

3. How are platinum-based complexes used in medicine?

Platinum-based complexes, particularly cisplatin, are commonly used in chemotherapy treatments for cancer. These complexes work by binding to and disrupting the DNA of cancer cells, leading to their death.

4. What are the potential side effects of using platinum-based complexes in medicine?

Some common side effects of platinum-based complexes in medicine include nausea, vomiting, and hair loss. In some cases, these complexes may also cause damage to healthy cells in the body.

5. How are platinum-based complexes synthesized?

Platinum-based complexes can be synthesized through various methods, but the most common approach involves reacting a platinum salt with a ligand molecule in the presence of a suitable solvent. The resulting complex can then be isolated and purified for further use.