How can I incorporate a fancy script-like F in my LaTeX code?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about using Latex code to produce fancy script-like symbols, specifically the F and l characters. Different options are suggested, such as \mathcal{F}, \mathscr{F}, and \ell, and a tool is mentioned for "reverse engineering" Latex symbols. Some additional types of characters are also mentioned, like \mathbb{}, \mathbf{}, \mathit{}, \mathrm{}, \mathsf{}, and \mathfrak{}. The issue of the editor not working properly when trying to use Latex code is also brought up, with the need for more information about the user's OS and browser versions.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I would like to be able to use a fancy script-like F as in the following text:

View attachment 2510

Could someone please help me with the correct Latex code.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
\mathcal{F}

$$\large \mathcal{F}$$

There's also \mathscr{F}

$$\large \mathscr{F}$$

In general you can use the following tool to "reverse engineer" LaTeX symbols. It works even if you're bad at drawing (up to a point :p).

Bacterius said:
\mathcal{F}

$$\large \mathcal{F}$$

There's also \mathscr{F}

$$\large \mathscr{F}$$

In general you can use the following tool to "reverse engineer" LaTeX symbols. It works even if you're bad at drawing (up to a point :p).

Thanks so much!

The $$\large \mathscr{F}$$ was the one I was looking for!Thanks again,

Peter

A very good question! :D Here are a few more types, but I'd be VERY (sorry for shouting lol) interested to know of any other styles supported on here, if anyone knows of any...? \mathbb{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathbb{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathbf{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathbf{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathit{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathit{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathrm{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathrm{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathsf{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathsf{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathfrak{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathfrak{A B C\, a b c}\)

DreamWeaver said:
A very good question! :D Here are a few more types, but I'd be VERY (sorry for shouting lol) interested to know of any other styles supported on here, if anyone knows of any...? \mathbb{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathbb{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathbf{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathbf{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathit{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathit{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathrm{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathrm{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathsf{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathsf{A B C\, a b c}\)\mathfrak{A B C\, a b c} = \(\displaystyle \mathfrak{A B C\, a b c}\)

I just now completed a post on the length of modules and composition series ... I wanted to use the latex code to produce a 'curly' or script l as in the following text:View attachment 3288I tried \mathcal{l} and \mathscr{l} but neither gave the character l in the above text ... ...

Can someone please help?

Peter

Try [m]\ell[/m]...this will give you:

\(\displaystyle \ell\)

It is one of the symbols in our Quick $\LaTeX$ tool, in the "General" set. :D

MarkFL said:
Try [m]\ell[/m]...this will give you:

\(\displaystyle \ell\)

It is one of the symbols in our Quick $\LaTeX$ tool, in the "General" set. :D

Thanks for the help Mark ... I have now amended my post in Linear and Abstract Algebra accordingly ...

Just a question/problem ...

I tried to use your "General" set - but strangely, the editor would not work ... I clicked on the ell symbol (the "little hand" symbol was showing but nothing happened) ... so I entered the code manually ...

When I opened a new post and tried to use the "general" set, the editor kept placing the Latex code for my choices in the title box despite my ensuring that the active element was the general content box ...

Can you help?

Peter

What OS/browser combo are you using? Are you using the WYSIWYG or standard mode for the editor?

I tried with both Mozilla and IE and was using WYSIWYG editor

Will have to check which version of Windows if you think that may make a difference

Peter

Peter said:
I tried with both Mozilla and IE and was using WYSIWYG editor

Will have to check which version of Windows if you think that may make a difference

Peter

Yes OS version and browser version would be helpful.

For what it's worth, I use Windows 7 and everything works correctly for me using Chrome 37.x, Firefox 32.x and IE 11.x in both editor modes.

Related to How can I incorporate a fancy script-like F in my LaTeX code?

What is "Fancy script like F"?

"Fancy script like F" refers to a type of decorative lettering or font that resembles the letter "F". It is often used for design purposes or to add flair to written text.

What is the history of "Fancy script like F"?

The use of decorative script dates back centuries, with various styles and variations evolving over time. "Fancy script like F" specifically gained popularity during the Victorian era in the 19th century and has continued to be used in design and typography since then.

How is "Fancy script like F" different from other fonts or scripts?

"Fancy script like F" is distinct from other fonts or scripts because of its ornate and decorative nature. It often includes elaborate flourishes and embellishments, making it visually appealing and attention-grabbing.

What are some common uses for "Fancy script like F"?

Some common uses for "Fancy script like F" include logo design, book covers, wedding invitations, and other formal or special occasion materials. It can also be used for titles or headings in various forms of media.

Can "Fancy script like F" be used for practical purposes?

While "Fancy script like F" is primarily used for decorative purposes, it can also be used for practical purposes such as adding emphasis or style to written text. However, it may not be suitable for large amounts of text or formal documents where legibility and clarity are important.