How can I increase the sampling rate for AnalogRead() on Arduino Uno?

• Thread starter cnh1995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arduino
In summary, AnalogRead() is a function on the Arduino Uno that reads analog voltage values from specified pins using the built-in analog-to-digital converter (ADC). Its range of values is from 0 to 1023, corresponding to a voltage range of 0 to 5 volts. It can only be used with the analog input pins and not with digital pins. The values returned by AnalogRead() can be stored in a variable and used for various purposes in a program.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I connected the A0 pin of arduino uno to +5V and read the voltage using analogRead () and displayed the result and elapsed time on the serial monitor. Its reading only 30 samples per second. What's going wrong? How do I change the clock prescaler for the ADC?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited:

Related to How can I increase the sampling rate for AnalogRead() on Arduino Uno?

1. What does AnalogRead() do on an Arduino Uno?

AnalogRead() is a function on the Arduino Uno that reads the analog voltage value from a specified pin. This allows the Arduino to read and interpret signals from analog sensors and devices.

2. How does AnalogRead() work on an Arduino Uno?

AnalogRead() works by using the built-in analog-to-digital converter (ADC) on the Arduino Uno. The ADC takes in the analog voltage signal from a specified pin, converts it to a digital value, and then returns that value to the program for further processing.

3. What is the range of values that AnalogRead() can return?

The range of values that AnalogRead() can return is from 0 to 1023. This corresponds to a voltage range of 0 to 5 volts, as the ADC on the Arduino Uno has a resolution of 10 bits.

4. Can AnalogRead() be used with digital pins on the Arduino Uno?

No, AnalogRead() can only be used with the analog input pins (A0-A5) on the Arduino Uno. Digital pins can only read digital signals (i.e. HIGH or LOW) and cannot read analog values.

5. How can I use the values returned by AnalogRead() in my program?

The values returned by AnalogRead() can be stored in a variable and used in your program for various purposes, such as controlling the brightness of an LED or the position of a servo motor. These values can also be used for data logging or for making decisions based on sensor readings.