How Can I Integrate Lift, Drag, Mass, and Gravity in Flight Physics Simulation?

• Thread starter Gibbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, a new member is seeking help with understanding flight physics in relation to their interest in aviation. They have created a software program to aid in their understanding and have successfully calculated lift and drag, but are unsure how to incorporate other factors such as gravity and mass. They are seeking assistance and have been directed to a helpful resource on airfoils.
Gibbon
Hi ,new here and have a question! :)

Hi all.. ok I am trying to teach my self the best way i can about flight physics. I am an avid avation fan and have been for a long time, i fly planes my self as well as RC planes / helicopters so I am not entirely new to them, but true physics of flight is not somthing you absolutly need to know in order to fly them! :)

So.. i am also a software programmer and i have written a small program to help me understand the formulas and so far I've got a "wing profile" that changes altitude from a result of lift only at the moment. (no gravity, mass or drag)

So.. I've now worked out drag and i have my drag value of the wing (that changes according to AoA, i also have my mass, and gravity.. but unfortunatly I've got myself very confused about how i put them all together (if possible).

I know there is a huge amount of factors so I am trying to keep it simple as i can while realistic. (its only for my personal plesure)

For instance, my lift so far only relies on the CL , velocity, AoA, Wing Area and Air Density.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
Andy

Physics news on Phys.org

There are, in general, four forces acting on the plane. Lift, drag, thrust, and gravity. The vector sum of those forces is the net force. Then acceleration is given by F = m a.

I recently came across this site that goes into detail about the physics of flight, among other things (such as piloting).

Specifically this page could be helpful to you.
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html

Related to How Can I Integrate Lift, Drag, Mass, and Gravity in Flight Physics Simulation?

1. What is this platform and how does it work?

This platform is a community for scientists and researchers to connect, share ideas, and collaborate on projects. It works by allowing users to create profiles, join groups, and participate in discussions and forums.

2. How do I ask a question on this platform?

To ask a question, simply click on the "Ask a Question" button on the homepage. Then, provide a clear and concise title for your question, followed by a detailed description in the body. You can also add relevant tags to help categorize your question.

3. Can I search for specific topics or questions?

Yes, you can use the search bar at the top of the page to search for keywords, questions, or tags. You can also filter your search results by category or date.

4. How can I connect with other scientists on this platform?

You can connect with other scientists by joining groups and participating in discussions and forums. You can also send direct messages to other users or add them as friends to stay updated on their activities.

5. Is there a way to report inappropriate content on this platform?

Yes, if you come across any inappropriate content, you can report it by clicking on the "Report" button next to the post or comment. Our team will review the report and take appropriate action.