How can I keep track of papers I've read?

In summary: There was no loss of records.In summary, it is important to be able to protect your records from fires, as well as any other disasters.
Overt
I'm going to enter graduate school in August and I read in an article title something like "Some number of things I wish I knew before going into grad school" that having a way to keep track of all the papers you've read is endlessly valuable. Incidently I lost the article and don't know the way to keep track of citations and papers.

Are there apps or programs that I can use for this?

I know Endnote is one but it's also fairly expensive. Is there a method I can just organize folders by?

Physics news on Phys.org
I use JabRef, which is free.

Edit: Forgot to mention that, in addition to its price, its best feature is that at its core it works with BibTeX files, so its use in conjunction with LaTeX is seamless.

It is imperative that you maintain your bibliographic database, particularly in this day and age of high publication rates, and (suspicions of) plagiarism.

Your anecdote is a prime example, "I lost the article." See the controversy over Emory University's Michael Bellesisles' Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture.

Doug Huffman said:
It is imperative that you maintain your bibliographic database, particularly in this day and age of high publication rates, and (suspicions of) plagiarism.

Your anecdote is a prime example, "I lost the article." See the controversy over Emory University's Michael Bellesisles' Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture.
Yeah, you don't want, "I lost the article" to turn into "I made it all up." :rolleyes:

"The dog ate my homework" has achieved meme status it is so tolerated.

Doug Huffman said:
"The dog ate my homework" has achieved meme status it is so tolerated.
I think Mr. Bellesilsles also tried a variant of this, except his involved a flood of some sort, which washed away his research. :wink:

You are correct, as I recall, his research notes were claimed to have been destroyed by a failed pipe flooding his home basement.

After I retired i helped a friend that maintained a vital records storage warehouse that specialized in medical records and imaging film. Shortly after I left a forklift driver knocked-off a fire suppression sprinkler head. The system functioned as intended and the entire warehouse was wetted.

Related to How can I keep track of papers I've read?

1. How do I organize the papers I've read?

One way to organize papers you've read is by creating a digital or physical filing system, such as using folders or tags. You can also use reference management software, such as Mendeley or Zotero, which allow you to save and organize papers in a digital library.

2. How can I keep track of the main points and key findings of each paper?

To keep track of the main points and key findings of each paper, you can create a summary or annotated notes for each paper. This can be done digitally or physically, depending on your preference. Some reference management software also have a note-taking feature that allows you to save notes alongside the paper.

3. Is there a recommended way to track the sources I've used in my research?

Yes, it is important to accurately track the sources you have used in your research. One way to do this is by using citation management software, such as EndNote or RefWorks, which allow you to keep track of your references and easily insert them into your research paper.

4. How can I easily find a specific paper I've read in the past?

To easily find a specific paper you've read in the past, you can use keywords or tags to label and categorize your papers. You can also use the search function in your reference management software or create a master list of all the papers you've read with their corresponding titles and authors.

5. What is the best way to keep track of papers I've read for future reference?

The best way to keep track of papers you've read for future reference is by storing them in a digital library or filing system that is easily accessible. Reference management software also allow you to export your library or create a bibliography, which can serve as a reference list for future use.