How Can I Make the Moon Look Bigger Using Mirrors?

• Thread starter ragabonds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the person is seeking ideas on how to make the moon appear bigger or create an illusion of it being bigger using mirrors, without the use of a computer. A suggestion is given to use a digital video camera and a beamer to achieve this. It is also mentioned that this idea is similar to building a telescope.
ragabonds
Hello,

Funny request here. I'm trying figure out a way to mount a series of mirrors to make the moon look bigger or give the illusion that it is bigger. I have no clue how to go about this, I'd appreciate your ideas and thoughts on this.
Thanks

p.s: This is without using a computer. I'd like a real time image of the moon to fall in place on a mirror and make it look much much bigger.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ragabonds said:
p.s: This is without using a computer. I'd like a real time image of the moon to fall in place on a mirror and make it look much much bigger.

A digital video camera with a good zoom + beamer will give you a real time image. Probably much cheaper and simpler than some big curved mirrors you might need for a purelly optical projection.

Last edited:

Related to How Can I Make the Moon Look Bigger Using Mirrors?

1. Can I physically make the moon bigger?

No, it is not possible for humans to physically make the moon bigger. It is a natural satellite and changing its size would require a significant amount of energy and resources that are currently beyond our capabilities.

2. Is there a way to make the moon appear bigger in the sky?

Yes, there are certain optical illusions that can make the moon appear bigger in the sky. For example, when the moon is near the horizon, it appears larger due to the Ponzo illusion. Additionally, using a telescope or binoculars can also make the moon appear bigger.

3. Can the moon's size be altered by its orbit?

No, the moon's size is not affected by its orbit around the Earth. Its distance from Earth may vary slightly due to its elliptical orbit, but this does not change its size.

4. Would changing the moon's atmosphere make it bigger?

No, the moon does not have an atmosphere and adding one would not increase its size. The moon's size is determined by its mass and gravitational pull, not its atmosphere.

5. Can humans ever make the moon bigger in the future?

It is highly unlikely that humans will be able to make the moon bigger in the future. As mentioned earlier, it would require a tremendous amount of energy and resources that are currently not feasible for us to achieve. Additionally, altering the moon's size could have significant consequences for Earth's tides and overall stability.