How Can I Measure Particle Characteristics for My Water Filtration System?

• Thread starter bashir_breakah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, Bashir is seeking help with measuring various factors of polymer particles used in water filtration. These factors include surface area, diameter, surface roughness, and size. It is suggested to ask the manufacturer for this information and to use a ruler to estimate some of the measurements. However, the accuracy of the manufacturer's data may vary depending on the size of the particles.
bashir_breakah
Hello everybody:

First of all I will tell you a little about my work, I'm working with the filters as a pretreatment of water,and the main media of my filter is polymer particles (beads),and I need to do some calculations and measurments on the particles ,so please I need your help:

How can I measure these factors:

1- surface area of the beads ( particles )? can I measure it individually?

2- diameter of the beads

3- surface roughness..

4- size of the particles

I'm waiting for your answer.

Bashir

Physics news on Phys.org
First I would suggest that you ask the manufacturer of the polymer particles if they have this info. I would be surprised if they didn't.

firstly bashir do you have a ruler? then you can estimate 3 of the above, but i think the fourth option is the volume

?? WERD!

The answer to all these questions will depend primarily on the rough size of your particles. A colleague of mine works with polymer beads 800 nm in diameter on average - moreover he did have to characterise the size of the beads and their statistical distribution himself because the manufacturer's data was quite inaccurate.

So what size range are we talking here, mm, microns, nm?

Claude.

FAQ: How Can I Measure Particle Characteristics for My Water Filtration System?

1. What are "I on particles" and why are they important in measurements?

"I on particles" refers to ions, which are electrically charged particles that are commonly found in atoms and molecules. They are important in measurements because they can be manipulated using electric and magnetic fields, allowing scientists to accurately measure their properties and interactions with other particles.

2. How are "I on particles" typically measured in scientific experiments?

Ions can be measured using a variety of techniques such as mass spectrometry, ion mobility spectrometry, and atomic force microscopy. These techniques use different principles to detect and measure ions, but they all involve passing ions through a detector and recording their properties.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of "I on particle" measurements?

The accuracy of "I on particle" measurements can be affected by a number of factors such as the purity of the sample, the sensitivity of the measuring instrument, and the presence of interfering particles. Additionally, the environment in which the measurements are being conducted, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact the accuracy of the results.

4. How do scientists ensure the reproducibility of "I on particle" measurements?

To ensure the reproducibility of "I on particle" measurements, scientists use standardized protocols and procedures when conducting experiments. They also perform multiple measurements and analyze the data using statistical methods to reduce the impact of random errors and increase the reliability of the results.

5. What are some practical applications of "I on particle" measurements?

"I on particle" measurements have a wide range of practical applications, including drug development, environmental monitoring, and forensic analysis. They can also be used in fields such as materials science, biochemistry, and physics to better understand the properties and behaviors of different substances at the atomic and molecular level.

Back