How can I optimize my learning of advanced math?

In summary, the conversation discusses tips for getting the most out of math courses, specifically calculus and advanced math. The main advice is to do lots of problems and practice, rather than just reading and thinking one understands. Specific book recommendations are also given for practicing and improving skills. The importance of practical relevance in addition to intellectual exercise is also mentioned.
ivan77
Hi All,

Its been a while since I took a proper math course. I am will be working through Cal 1-3 (Diff Eq) this year, with some other math topics on the side (probability, or lin alg, not decided yet).

Can you please give me ideas on how to ensure that I get the most out of my courses? What is the best way to learn Calc, and advanced math? I am learning the Calc as a basis for my future personal physics learning among other things (finance job).

Thanks,

Ivan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do lots of problems. If you just read a book and think you understand, you probably don't. Math is not a spectator sport, you have to practice it a lot.

ivan77 said:
Can you please give me ideas on how to ensure that I get the most out of my courses? What is the best way to learn Calc,
i think i agree with rochfor1. calculus isn't very theoretical, so the best way to get good at it is to pound out mass quantities of problems. these books should be easy to get hold of & they're relatively cheap also:
http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071635343
https://www.amazon.com/dp/007007979X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

other ones cover similar stuff, but are more difficult to find. maybe your library has copies:
problems in mathematical analysis - demidovich & others (3193 problems)
a problem book in mathematical analysis - berman (4465 problems)
(the titles say analysis but it's really just calculus)

ivan77 said:
and advanced math?
get a book & go through it cover-to-cover, proving every theorem without looking at the proofs in the book & of course solve every problem

You can't go wrong with a hot cup of coffee + a quiet corner of a library.

i think i agree with rochfor1. calculus isn't very theoretical, so the best way to get good at it is to pound out mass quantities of problems.

I think my advice applies to any type of math, no matter how theoretical. True, if you're studying something quite abstract, the problems won't be computational, but I maintain that if you can't apply what you're learning to solve problems, you don't actually understand it. I feel that this applies even to research, where even while moving forward you should keep looking back to see what new problems your research can solve or what new approaches it gives to old problems. Otherwise when you present it at a conference and at the end of your talk someone asks (much more politely) why anyone should care, the silence will be awkward. This hasn't happened to me personally, but I've been in the room when it's happened, and I felt bad for the speaker.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Rochfor1, ultimately, I am interested in being able to 'do things' with that which I am learning. I'll focus on doing lots of problems. Practical relevance is as important, if not more so, than the general intellectual exercise of learning this math.

Fourier, thanks for the specific references. I'll look into these books. I have never thought of trying to prove theorems without looking at the proofs. I'll give that a go.

Related to How can I optimize my learning of advanced math?

1. How can I improve my understanding of advanced math concepts?

To improve your understanding of advanced math concepts, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. Make sure to fully understand the fundamentals before moving on to more complex topics. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in gaining a deeper understanding of advanced math.

2. What are some effective study techniques for learning advanced math?

Some effective study techniques for learning advanced math include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs, and actively engaging in problem-solving rather than just reading and memorizing. It can also be helpful to review and reinforce concepts regularly to ensure understanding.

3. How can I overcome my fear of advanced math?

Overcoming fear of advanced math can be challenging, but it is important to remember that it is a skill that can be learned and improved with practice. Start by identifying the root of your fear, whether it is a lack of confidence or previous negative experiences. Seeking help from a tutor or breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts can also help build confidence and reduce fear.

4. How can I make advanced math more interesting and engaging?

One way to make advanced math more interesting and engaging is to relate it to real-world applications. This can help you see the practical uses of the concepts you are learning and make them more relevant. Additionally, challenging yourself with puzzles and games that involve advanced math concepts can also make learning more enjoyable.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning advanced math?

Staying motivated while learning advanced math can be tough, but setting achievable goals and tracking your progress can help keep you motivated. Additionally, finding a study buddy or joining a study group can provide a support system and help you stay on track. Remember to also take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work to stay motivated in the long run.