How Can I Optimize Paper Wing Designs for Aerodynamics in a Physics Project?

In summary, a student is working on a physics project involving electric motors and paper wings attached to plastic cars. They are looking for sources on aerodynamics and want to know which design of paper wing will work best to propel the cars forward. Other forum members have requested a picture for clarification and have provided information on the four aerodynamic forces: lift, drag, thrust, and weight. They also suggest a specific design for the wings to achieve flight.
MASTERfeppy
Hello!

This is my first post here! So hello to you all!:biggrin:

I have a physics project (that I need to write 3500 - 4000 words), which is for the Extended Essay (for IB schools), and my experiment was this:

I made 3 simple electric motors, and I connected 3 of these onto small plastic cars. Then I connected a wing around the single current loop and so when it would turn forward, the paper wings would help propel the plastic car forward. I want to see which design of the paper wing (which is around the single current loop) would work best and propel the plastic car the furthest.

My question is, I am not familiar at all with this field of aerodynamics, and I want to ask you guys where I can find good sources for something like this. The areas that I have found are all relating to aerodynamics are all relating to airplanes which is not what I'm looking for. Khan Academy unfortunately also does not have anything on this :(.

So can you guys help me find some links to understand the theory behind each of these different designs for the wings I will attach on my single current loop that will propel my plastic cars?

Thanks so much

- Sean Vetrashin

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could attach a picture of what you are describing that would be helpful. Perhaps it is the Pale Ale sitting next to me, but I am having a hard time visualizing what you are describing.

I agree with boneh3ad - I can't really visualize what you're trying to describe. A diagram or picture would be very helpful.

(and I don't even have any pale ale)

Yes i agree with the above two comments... Its quite hard to visualize your model. But one thing i say is that the aerodynamic forces relating to aeroplanes are the same for all other flying objects. There are 4 aerodynamics forces : Lift, Drag, Thrust and Weight...
As in all websites and sources, Drag is the force which opposes the flight or movement in the fluid, similar to friction. Thrust is the force which helps the object to move through the fluid. Weight is the gravitational force acting on the object in the fluid. And finally Lift is the most important force which holds, or rather, which "lifts" the object up in the fluid. The fluid here refers to air...
Now what you told is you made 3 motors and u connected them to plastic cars... I hope that the three motors are the ones which is going to give your model the force to move. Now the plastic cars is the fuselage or the body... Then you connected the wings. Now the wings WON'T help in any propulsion, the motors only gives the force. In your model, the motors give you the thrust and the wings the Lift. Now i think you want you model to fly?
Look here, if your model doesn't have any thing with flight, it doesn't require any wings... Now i think the best wings for flight would be, if you see it from the side, the wings should be like a \... I mean the model should go in <-- direction and the wings should be like \ so that the air hits it like -->\ this, thus giving the lift. And also, if you see the model from its back, the two halves of the wings should be like \/ this. That is called the Dihydral angle... For more info, look into google... Hope this helps!
And also, this is my first post in this forum :)

Hello Sean,

That sounds like a very interesting project! To start, it's great that you are doing research and reaching out for help in a field that you are not familiar with. Aerodynamics is a fascinating subject and there is a lot of information out there, so it can be overwhelming to find the right sources.

First, let's talk about the basics of aerodynamics. It is the study of how air moves around objects. This can include airplanes, cars, and even paper wings. The key concepts to understand are lift, drag, and thrust. Lift is the force that allows an object to move upward, drag is the resistance that slows an object down, and thrust is the force that propels an object forward.

Now, for your project specifically, you will want to focus on the design of your paper wings and how it affects the lift and drag on the plastic car. Some factors that may affect this include the shape, size, and angle of the wings. You can also look into different materials for the wings and how they may affect the aerodynamics.

As for sources, I recommend starting with academic databases such as Google Scholar or JSTOR. These databases have a wide range of articles and studies on aerodynamics that may be relevant to your project. You can also look into books on aerodynamics, particularly those that focus on the basics and include diagrams or illustrations to help you understand the concepts.

Additionally, you may want to reach out to a physics teacher or professor for guidance and additional resources. They may be able to provide you with more specific information and guidance based on your project.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to How Can I Optimize Paper Wing Designs for Aerodynamics in a Physics Project?

1. What is aerodynamics and why is it important?

Aerodynamics is the study of how objects move through air, and it is important because it helps us understand and improve the performance of objects that interact with air, such as airplanes, cars, and even sports equipment. By understanding aerodynamics, we can design more efficient and safe vehicles and structures.

2. What factors affect aerodynamics?

The shape, size, and surface characteristics of an object all affect its aerodynamics. Other factors include the speed and direction of the object's movement, the density and temperature of the air, and the presence of other objects or obstacles in the surrounding air.

3. How does aerodynamics affect flight?

Aerodynamics plays a crucial role in flight. The shape and design of an aircraft's wings, along with its engines, determine how it moves through the air and how much lift it generates. Aerodynamics also impacts the stability and control of an aircraft during flight.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is smooth and orderly, with air particles moving in a parallel direction. It creates less drag and is more efficient than turbulent flow, which is chaotic and has air particles moving in different directions. Turbulent flow creates more drag, which can decrease the speed and efficiency of an object.

5. How is aerodynamics used in sports?

Aerodynamics is used in sports to improve performance and gain a competitive edge. For example, in cycling, aerodynamic helmets and clothing can reduce drag and increase speed. In golf, the design of golf balls and clubs is based on aerodynamics to improve distance and accuracy. In skiing, aerodynamics is crucial for achieving faster speeds and better control on the slopes.