How Can I Overcome Impedance Issues for Accurate Inrush Current Measurements?

In summary: If the transient is gone, you are seeing transient current.In summary, the Chroma 61605 AC source has an impedance issue which prohibits good inrush measurements. It is possible to overcome this by using two capacitors, one rated for AC operation and the other for DC operation.
lennybogzy
I'm trying to measure inrush current by looking at the voltage of a 0.1ohm resistor in the line within the first 50uS of flipping a relay to a variable AC source.

Problem is that the new AC source that I have (chroma 61605) apparently has an impedance issue which prohibits good inrush measurements. (E.g. 120VAC @ 60HZ is way different from it than from the wall when it comes to <50uS "turn on" measurements of inrush current).

Any way to overcome this?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The Chroma is a switching type controller, it is unlikely that it can control or regulate current at time periods as short as <50uS.
Isn't inrush current generally meant to be 1/2 to maybe 10 cycles (8.3 to 167 millisecond)?
Correct me if the preceding is incorrect. This is not my area of expertise.

Carl Pugh said:
The Chroma is a switching type controller, it is unlikely that it can control or regulate current at time periods as short as <50uS.
Isn't inrush current generally meant to be 1/2 to maybe 10 cycles (8.3 to 167 millisecond)?
Correct me if the preceding is incorrect. This is not my area of expertise.

Maybe it depends on the device? in my case the peak current value occurs and dissipates within the first 50uS of switching my relay.

You could try putting two capacitors on the output of the Chroma.
Say maybe a 10 uf film capacitor and maybe a 0.1 uf mica capacitors. You should probably do some calculations on how much the voltage on the 10 uf capacitor will drop with the current that is drawn.
Use capacitors that are rated for AC operation. Capacitors that are rated for DC operation will fail.

Could you be picking up some sort of transient voltage and not transient current?
With oscilloscope probe ground connected, short oscilloscope probe input to ground. If the transient is still there, you are seeing transient voltage.

FAQ: How Can I Overcome Impedance Issues for Accurate Inrush Current Measurements?

1. What is inrush current and why is it important to measure?

Inrush current, also known as surge current, is the high current that flows into an electrical device when it is first turned on. It is important to measure because it can cause damage to the device and other components in the circuit, and can also lead to power supply instability and disruptions in the electrical system.

2. How is inrush current measured?

Inrush current is typically measured using a current clamp or a current transformer, which are devices that can measure the electrical current flowing through a conductor. The measurement is usually taken at the moment the device is turned on, and the value is recorded in amps or milliamps.

3. What factors can affect inrush current?

Inrush current can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and size of the device being turned on, the power supply voltage, the temperature and age of the device, and the type of load attached to the device. It can also be affected by the electrical impedance of the circuit and the resistance of the power supply wiring.

4. How can inrush current be reduced?

There are several methods for reducing inrush current, including using an inrush current limiter, which is a device that limits the flow of current when a device is first turned on. Another method is to stagger the start-up of multiple devices to reduce the total inrush current in the circuit. Using a soft-start circuit or a delayed start-up can also help reduce inrush current.

5. What are the safety considerations when measuring inrush current?

When measuring inrush current, it is important to follow safety precautions to avoid electric shock or damage to equipment. This includes using appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring that the equipment is properly grounded, and following all safety protocols outlined in the device's manual. It is also important to use the correct equipment and techniques for the specific measurement being taken.

Back