How Can I Parse MCNP Output Files in MATLAB?

In summary, the individual is seeking a MATLAB code to parse an MCNP output file in ASCII format, specifically an MCTAL file. Another member of the forum has successfully done so and the individual is interested in how others have done this as well.
WWYY
Hello! I am really glad to find this forum!

I was wondering if anyone has a MATLAB code to parse the MCNP output file MCTAL? I did some Lattice simulation but it seemed hard to read the MCTAL file directly..

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
WWYY said:
Hello! I am really glad to find this forum!

I was wondering if anyone has a MATLAB code to parse the MCNP output file MCTAL? I did some Lattice simulation but it seemed hard to read the MCTAL file directly..

Best regards
I'm not familiar with MATLAB, but as far as I can tell, .mctal files are ASCII format, so if one knows the format, one should be able to read the files into MATLAB with whatever function reads an ASCII-format file.

A member here apparently has done that.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/mcnp-help.829473/#post-5269680

How do others read ASCII files with MATLAB?

Related to How Can I Parse MCNP Output Files in MATLAB?

What is MCNP MCTAL Parse?

MCNP MCTAL Parse is a software tool that allows users to extract data from MCNP output files and convert it into a format that can be read by MATLAB.

How does MCNP MCTAL Parse work?

MCNP MCTAL Parse works by reading through the MCNP output file and identifying specific keywords and values. It then organizes the data into arrays and stores them in a MATLAB file for further analysis.

What are the main benefits of using MCNP MCTAL Parse?

The main benefits of using MCNP MCTAL Parse include saving time and effort by automating the process of importing MCNP data into MATLAB. It also helps to avoid errors that may occur when manually transferring data between programs.

Are there any limitations to using MCNP MCTAL Parse?

One limitation of MCNP MCTAL Parse is that it can only be used for MCNP output files. It is not compatible with other simulation software output files. Additionally, it may not work with some older versions of MCNP.

Is MCNP MCTAL Parse user-friendly?

Yes, MCNP MCTAL Parse is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It comes with a user manual and instructions on how to use the software. It also has a graphical user interface that allows for a more intuitive experience.