How can I project images onto a mirror for a painting project?

In summary, someone recommends using carbon paper and tracing the image onto it to transfer to the mirror. Another option is using a regular sheet of glass and applying a silvering agent. A water soluble substrate is recommended.
danbeard
Hi. I am an artist and currently working on a project using mirrors. I need to transfer an image (portrait photo) onto a mirror so I can trace directly on the mirror surface so I have the guides to then paint over it. I would like to be able to use an overhead projector but of course the light bounces straight off the mirror. Does anyone have a solution for this? I could use the traditional method of drawing a grid and transposing by eye and measurement but I have a few of these to do and time is off the essence!

Tips?

Science news on Phys.org
danbeard said:
Hi. I am an artist and currently working on a project using mirrors. I need to transfer an image (portrait photo) onto a mirror so I can trace directly on the mirror surface so I have the guides to then paint over it. I would like to be able to use an overhead projector but of course the light bounces straight off the mirror. Does anyone have a solution for this? I could use the traditional method of drawing a grid and transposing by eye and measurement but I have a few of these to do and time is off the essence!

Tips?
Carbon paper. You can buy packs of em cheap.
Place carbon paper over the mirror. Project your image on the carbon paper. Trace your lines on the carbon paper, it will transfer to the mirror.

Welcome to PF, Danbeard.
I can think of a few approaches, but I somehow doubt that they would meet your needs. The first, most obvious, one would be to do your painting on a thin-film transparency and then bond it to the mirror surface.
Secondly, I would think of doing it on a regular sheet of glass, and then applying the silvering agent to the back after it's done.
Then again, you could coat the front of the mirror with an easily soluble opaque substance. You could paint over that, then wash away the part that is unpainted. You'd have to test that first, though, to make sure that the stuff under the paint doesn't dissolve and take the paint with it.

edit: Hi, Dave. You sneaked in on me. Good idea.

Hi guys. Thanks for the quick replies. Of course, carbon paper is a great idea. I hope it transfers alright onto glass, i'll try it out tomorrow. I think i will also try the dissolvable paint base idea too. Draw the image on then rub/wash away the areas not drawn on. Just got to think of the right stuff though. If you have any ideas for that let me know.

Thanks alot.

The base would depend upon what kind of paint you're using. You need something that not only won't react with the paint itself, but is soluble in something that won't damage the paint. Oil, water-colour, acrylic, enamel, etc. would all require a different substrate. For instance, a water-soluble base would work great with enamel.

I think water soluble would be best. I would wash/rub it away before I paint anything, leaving just the area I will paint over (for example the head and shoulders). After drawing the image as I want it on the mirror I then paint a layer of acrylic lacquer (auto clear coat) then add additional layers of lacquer each time and paint with oils in the wet layers. Very nice effects can happen this way.

Sounds cool. When you're done, if it doesn't violate any confidentiality or copyrights, you should post a picture of it in GD.

Related to How can I project images onto a mirror for a painting project?

1. How does projecting images onto a mirror work?

Projecting images onto a mirror involves using a light source and a projector to shine an image onto the reflective surface of the mirror. The light from the projector reflects off the mirror and creates an enlarged version of the image.

2. What materials are needed for projecting images onto a mirror?

You will need a projector, a mirror, a light source, and an image source (such as a laptop or DVD player). You may also need a tripod or stand to position the projector and a dark room for optimal image projection.

3. Can any type of mirror be used for projecting images?

Ideally, a flat, high-quality mirror with a smooth reflective surface should be used for projecting images. Mirrors with curved or textured surfaces may distort the projected image.

4. What are the benefits of projecting images onto a mirror?

Projecting images onto a mirror can create a larger, clearer image compared to projecting onto a flat surface. It can also add a unique and dynamic element to presentations, performances, and art installations.

5. Are there any limitations to projecting images onto a mirror?

One limitation is that the projected image will appear reversed on the mirror, so any text or graphics will need to be mirrored beforehand. Additionally, the angle and distance of the projector and mirror must be carefully adjusted in order to achieve the desired image size and clarity.