How Can I Prove That B^3 Equals 7B Minus 6I Using Matrix B?

• Thread starter natural
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a given matrix B satisfies both B^2 - 3B + 2I = 0 and B^3 = 7B - 6I. It is suggested to use the factorization method to solve the problem.
natural

Homework Statement

Show that the matrix B= 4 -2 -2
1 1 -1
2 -2 0
satisfies the quadratic equation
B^2-3B+2I=0

Hence show that B^3=7B-6I

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i have already worked out the quadratic equation and the matirx B satisfies the equaition B^2-3B+2I=0.

My problem is i can't seem to prove the next part i am stuck here is how for i got

B^3=7B-6I
multiplying by B^2 gives

B^4 - 3B^3 + 2B^2I = O

multiply b B^-1 (B inverse) gives

IB^3 - 3IB^2 = 2IB =0

this is where i am stuck.. thanks for any help given...question dued tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
You said you showed that B satisfies B^2 - 3B + 2I = 0. Now you want to show that the same matrix satisfies B^3 - 7B + 6I = 0.

These matrix equations work much like the equations you worked with earlier in your math classes with regard to factorization. For example, your first equation factors into
(B - 2I)(B - I) = 0. Instead of doing what you did before (multiplying B by itself, subtracting 3*B, and then adding 2*I), you could have calculation B - 2I and B - I and multiplied these two matrices together.

As it turns out, your second equation can also be factored, and one of the factors is B^2 - 3B + 2I.

You are given B so just multiply to get B3. Then calculuate 7B- 6I and see if they are the same!

yes i agree but we can't do it that we we have to use the quadratic equation to prove that B^3 = 7B-6I

Then do the obvious thing: divide x3- 7x+ 6 by x2- 3x+ 2.

B^2=3b-2i
b^3=3b^2-2b=3(3b-2i)-2b=7b-6i

and how will that help me i get x+3 :|

Thanks a lot cloudyhill that helps greatly!

That tells you that [itex]B^3-7B+6I=(B+3I)(B^2-3B+2I)[/itex] but you already showed that [itex]B^2-3B+2I=0[/itex], sooo [itex]B^3-7B+6I=\ldots[/itex]?:wink:

FAQ: How Can I Prove That B^3 Equals 7B Minus 6I Using Matrix B?

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent and manipulate data in various fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science.

What are the basic operations that can be performed on matrices?

The basic operations that can be performed on matrices are addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and matrix multiplication. Addition and subtraction are only possible between matrices of the same size, while scalar multiplication and matrix multiplication can be performed on matrices of different sizes.

How do you add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, the matrices must have the same number of rows and columns. You simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix to get the result. For example, to add two matrices A and B, you would add the elements in the first row of A to the elements in the first row of B, and so on.

How do you perform scalar multiplication on a matrix?

Scalar multiplication involves multiplying each element of a matrix by a constant number. This can be done by simply multiplying each element in the matrix by the constant. For example, to perform scalar multiplication on a matrix A with the constant c, you would multiply each element in A by c.

How do you multiply two matrices?

Matrix multiplication is only possible when the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. To multiply two matrices A and B, you would multiply each element in a row of A by each element in a column of B, and then sum the products to get the corresponding element of the resulting matrix. This process is repeated for each element in the resulting matrix.