How can I prove that this is the upper bound?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in combinatorics where the goal is to prove that the number of comparisons needed to place the elements of a set in ascending order is bounded above by n * 2^n. This is done by breaking the set into smaller subsets and using the result that the elements in two sets can be merged into ascending order with no more than m + r - 1 comparisons. The person asking for help was able to solve the problem by breaking the set into one element sets and combining them in pairs until they had one set with 2^n elements, and summing the upper bounds of comparisons for each intermediate set.
SpatialVacancy1
Combinatorics...evil problem!

Hi all,

I am working on my combinatorics homework. I have completed all of the problems but one. Here it goes:

------------------------------------------
Let S_1 and S_2 be two sets where |S_1| = m and |S_2| = r, for m,r in Z+ (positive integers), and the elements in each of S_1, S_2 are in ascending order. It can be shown that the elements in S_1 and S_2 can be merged into ascending order by making no more than m + r - 1 comparisons. Use this result to establish the following:

For n >= 0, Let S be a set with |S| = 2^n. Prove that the number of comparisons needed to place the elements of S in ascending order is bounded above by n * 2^n.
------------------------------------------

Please help! Due by 12:00 PM EST tomorrow the 3rd!

Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to produce the right result by breaking S into one element sets then combining pairs of them to create half as many sets of two elements and assuming it took the upper bound of m+r-1 comparisons to create each set. I then combined pairs of two element sets to create half as many sets of 4 elements, and so on until I had one set of 2^n elements (S), and summed the upper bounds of all of comparisons required to make each intermediate set and finally S.

Related to How can I prove that this is the upper bound?

What is the "Combinatorics evil problem"?

The "Combinatorics evil problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum number of ways to arrange a set of elements while satisfying certain constraints.

What are some real-world applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has many practical applications, including in computer science, genetics, finance, and cryptography. For example, combinatorics is used in computer algorithms for tasks such as sorting and searching, and in genetics to study the possible combinations of genetic traits.

What are some common techniques used in combinatorics problem-solving?

Some common techniques used in combinatorics problem-solving include counting methods, such as permutations and combinations, graph theory, generating functions, and the principle of inclusion-exclusion.

What are some common challenges when solving combinatorics problems?

Solving combinatorics problems can be challenging because it often involves complex calculations and requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, the constraints and conditions of the problem can sometimes be difficult to interpret and apply correctly.

How can I improve my skills in solving combinatorics problems?

To improve your skills in solving combinatorics problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with various problem-solving techniques. It can also be helpful to study the solutions to previously solved problems and to seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or teachers.

Back