How Can I Prove the Second Equation from the First in a Random Walk Probability?

In summary, the problem is asking how to prove that renumbering the indices in a random walk does not change the distribution. Using the concept of iid variables, we can show that this is true by exchanging probability statements for different variables and using their independence to extend this to arbitrary joint probability statements.
jakey
Hi guys,

I was reading about random walks and i encountered one step of a proof which i don't know how to derive in a mathematically rigorous way.

the problem is in the attached file and S is a random walk with X_i as increments, X_i =
{-1,+1}

I know that intuitively we can switch the indices to obtain the second equation from the first but how do we prove it rigorously?

EDIT: btw, I am just looking for hints, not the entire solution. i think one of the possible hints is that the X_i's are i.i.d. but i can't think of a way to use this

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since all X_i have the same distribution renumbering the indices makes no difference.

hi mathman, thanks btw! so there's no rigorous proof for this?

I don't what you need to make it rigorous.

Mathman's lemma: (X1,X2) has the same distribution as (X2,X1).

Proof: P[X1<=x1,X2<=x2] = P[X1<=x1]P[X2<=x2] = P[X2<=x1]P[X1<=x2] = P[X2<=x1,X1<=x2]

You started with the assumption that the Xi's were iid. Part of the definition of iid is that they are identical - that is, every marginal probability statement for one variable can be exchanged for any probability statement about another. The other bard of the definition of iid is that they are independent. This fact allows us to extend the above from marginal probability statements to any arbitrary joint probability statement.

FAQ: How Can I Prove the Second Equation from the First in a Random Walk Probability?

1. What is a random walk probability?

A random walk probability is a mathematical concept that describes the likelihood of a random event occurring within a given time frame. It is often used to model the behavior of particles or systems that move randomly in space or time.

2. How is random walk probability calculated?

Random walk probability is calculated by determining the probability of each possible outcome of a random event and then summing those probabilities together. This can be done using various statistical techniques, such as the binomial distribution or the normal distribution.

3. What is the significance of random walk probability in science?

Random walk probability is important in many fields of science, including physics, biology, and economics. It can be used to model the behavior of particles in a gas, the movement of animals, or the fluctuations in stock prices. It also has practical applications in fields such as risk assessment and data analysis.

4. How does the concept of random walk probability relate to the concept of randomness?

Random walk probability is closely related to the concept of randomness. It describes the likelihood of a random event occurring, which is inherently unpredictable. However, by understanding and analyzing the probabilities involved, we can gain insight into the behavior of complex systems that appear to be random.

5. Can random walk probability be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, random walk probability can be applied to many real-life situations. For example, it can be used to model the spread of diseases, the movement of molecules in a liquid, or the behavior of financial markets. It can also be used to make predictions and inform decision-making processes in these and other areas.