How can I prove this function is a linear function?

In summary: If that makes more sense. I'm so confused now. In summary, I don't understand why the function is not linear.
tamtam402

Homework Statement

I'm trying to prove f(r) = A [itex]\bullet[/itex] (r - kz) is a linear operator, but I don't understand why it is linear.

Homework Equations

A function of a vector is called linear if:
f(r1+r2) = f(r1) + f(r2) and f(ar) = af(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

f(r1+r2) = A [itex]\bullet[/itex] (r1+r2 - kz) = A[itex]\bullet[/itex]r1 + A[itex]\bullet[/itex]r2 - A[itex]\bullet[/itex]kz

However, f(r1) + f(r2) = A[itex]\bullet[/itex]r1 - A[itex]\bullet[/itex]kz
+ A[itex]\bullet[/itex]r2 - A[itex]\bullet[/itex]kz

So, I just proved that the function is NOT a linear function, how great... :(

By the way, r = (x,y,z) in this book, if that changes anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it safe to assume this is an error in my book's manual? I even tried developing the vectors, here's my attempt. (Disregard the 3.7.1 part)

Attachments

• 20120720203257571.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 253
Ok, upon further investigation, the only way this can be linear is if I have to apply the -kz part BEFORE writing down my r vectors, which means

f(r1+r2) = (a1,a2,a3) [itex]\bullet[/itex] (x1+x2,y1+y2,0)

If that was the case, how in the hell was I supposed to know I had to do that (as opposed to what I did in my scanned solution)??!

I'm assuming by you saying r is a vector, you're saying r[itex]\in[/itex]ℝn. Notice that what you're trying to prove is f is closed under addition and scalar multiplication which implies f is linear.

Suppose that : r1,r2[itex]\in[/itex]ℝn

Then the way you would go about proving something like f(r1+r2)=f(r1) + f(r2) is to literally ADD the two vectors together since adding two objects together from the same field should result in something from the same field ( If it doesn't then you simply don't have anything to prove here ) and THEN you perform the operator f on the NEW object. Simply separating the newly formed object into its two founding objects is a simple task at this point which should result in your answer.

tamtam402 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to prove f(r) = A [itex]\bullet[/itex] (r - kz) is a linear operator, but I don't understand why it is linear.

Homework Equations

f(r1+r2) = A [itex]\bullet[/itex] (r1+r2 - kz) = A[itex]\bullet[/itex]r1 + A[itex]\bullet[/itex]r2 - A[itex]\bullet[/itex]kz

k is the unit vector in the z direction, and r is given by:

r = x i + y j + z k

Therefore, f (r) = A [itex]\bullet[/itex] (x i + y j)

Alternately,

f(r1) = A[itex]\bullet[/itex] (r1 - k z1)

f(r2) = A[itex]\bullet[/itex] (r2 - k z2)

Try it now.

tamtam402 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Note: [itex]z[/itex] is the third component of [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex], so if you have [itex]\textbf{r}_1[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{r}_2[/itex] you need [itex]z_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2[/itex].

RGV

Yeah thanks everyone. I was assuming the kz wasn't the "same z" as the z component from the r vectors, which means I considered r1-z as (x1,y1,z1)-(0,0,z) = (x1,y1,z1-z).

Related to How can I prove this function is a linear function?

What is a linear function?

A linear function is a mathematical function that can be represented by a straight line on a graph. It follows the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How can I determine if a function is linear?

To determine if a function is linear, you can check if it follows the form y = mx + b. You can also plot the function on a graph and see if it forms a straight line.

What are the key characteristics of a linear function?

The key characteristics of a linear function are that it has a constant rate of change, its graph forms a straight line, and its domain and range are both all real numbers.

What methods can I use to prove that a function is linear?

There are a few methods you can use to prove that a function is linear. One method is to show that it follows the form y = mx + b. Another method is to calculate the slope between two points on the graph and show that it is constant.

Can a function be linear if it has a power greater than 1?

No, a linear function cannot have a power greater than 1. This would make the function non-linear and it would not follow the form y = mx + b. A power greater than 1 would result in a curved graph instead of a straight line.