How Can I Resolve Implementation Errors with a 4-bit 4 to 1 Mux in Xilinx?

• Thread starter mossfan563
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to make a 4 bit 4 to 1 mux using gates, but is having problems. He has tried to make it in Xilinx, but is getting errors. He is also having a problem with Warning 701, which affects his design. There are some suggestions in the hits at Xilinx on how to find the problem.
mossfan563

Homework Statement

Pretty much, I'm trying to make a 4-bit 4 to 1 mux using gates.
However, I'm having problems trying to make it.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

mux.jpg

So far this is what I have and whenever I try to implement this in Xilinx, I get errors.
Yes, I know I'm trying to force in a 4 bit input into an AND gate that's only allowing 1 bit and the same can be said for the output of the OR gate at the end.

Not sure what to do here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need 4 copies of that circuit, with one input bit per circuit (like a(0), b(0), c(0), d(0))

Now I have a new problem,

Here's the new mux with all the bits spread out. I know it doesn't look pretty.
new_mux.jpg

This is the top level circuit.
top_circuit.jpg

When I try to synthesize the design in Xilinx, I get this Warning which affects my design.

WARNING:MapLib:701 - Signal s0 connected to top level port s0 has been removed.

WARNING:MapLib:701 - Signal s1 connected to top level port s1 has been removed.

Any idea why? If you need more info, let me know.
Basically this circuit, I have a binary input that's put into registers and the output of the registers are muxed and stored.
That way with the s1 and s0, whenever I have s1 = 0 or 1 and s0 = 0 or 1, I get a certain output that's outputted onto LED's of an FPGA.

What does your tool say about Warning 701? There should be a list of errors and warnings somewhere that gives you a bit more info about what each number means...

I still can't see it. Everything looks fine. I can't tell what's wrong...even with the hits using google.

mossfan563 said:
I still can't see it. Everything looks fine. I can't tell what's wrong...even with the hits using google.

I did a search at Xilinx's Knowledge Database, and got a lot of hits for this type of warning:

http://xgoogle.xilinx.com/search?ge...tus:archive&q=WARNING:MapLib:701&lang2search=

In general, the problem seems to come up because there is a naming problem, or a missing connection that makes the tool think there is no reason to keep the signals around.

There are some suggestions in the hits at Xilinx on what to look for in the MAP and other files. If you can simplify your circuit down to something that only connects s0 from the top level down to something simple in the lower block, that may help you find the problem.

Have you checked the directions of all of the signals and port connections?

Related to How Can I Resolve Implementation Errors with a 4-bit 4 to 1 Mux in Xilinx?

1. What is a 4-bit 4 to 1 mux?

A 4-bit 4 to 1 mux, also known as a multiplexer, is a digital logic circuit that takes in four 4-bit inputs and selects one of them to be the output based on a select signal.

2. How does a 4-bit 4 to 1 mux work?

A 4-bit 4 to 1 mux works by using Boolean logic to compare the select signal to the input combination and selecting the corresponding input as the output. It uses a decoder to convert the select signal into four select lines, which are then used to enable the corresponding input on the mux.

3. What are the applications of a 4-bit 4 to 1 mux?

A 4-bit 4 to 1 mux is commonly used in digital systems to select between multiple inputs and send the selected input to the output. It is also used in data processing and control circuits, as well as in communication systems.

4. How is a 4-bit 4 to 1 mux different from other mux configurations?

A 4-bit 4 to 1 mux is different from other mux configurations in terms of the number of inputs and select lines. It has four 4-bit inputs and four select lines, while other mux configurations may have a different number of inputs and select lines. Additionally, the output of a 4-bit 4 to 1 mux will always be a 4-bit value.

5. What are the advantages of using a 4-bit 4 to 1 mux?

Using a 4-bit 4 to 1 mux offers several advantages, including reducing the number of required components compared to using individual gates, simplifying the circuit design, and improving data transmission efficiency. It also allows for easy expansion to accommodate more inputs and select lines if needed.