How Can I Resolve the ntheorem Error in Latex?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Theoretiker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using the ntheorem package in conjunction with the amsmath and amsthm packages in LaTeX. The error "Theoremstyle plain already defined" is mentioned and it is suggested to remove the amsthm package or use the \Box symbol for the end of a proof. The conversation also mentions the conflict between ntheorem and amsmath packages and suggests using amsthm as an option to ntheorem.
Theoretiker
Hello,

I have a problem with Latex. I use MikeTex as Latex distribution and TexnicCenter as editor. I want the code for a mathematical sentence with proof. I used the package ntheorem and I got the mistake:

Package ntheorem Error: Theoremstyle plain already defined

Waht did they mean with "already defined"?

My code is:

Code:
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article} 
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} 
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel} 
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} 
\usepackage{amsmath,amsgen,amscd,amsrefs,amsthm,amsopn,amssymb} 
\usepackage{graphicx} 
\usepackage{xcolor} 
[B]\usepackage[thmmarks]{ntheorem} [/B]

\begin{document} 

%ntheorem Umgebung 
\theoremstyle{nonumberplain} 
\theoremheaderfont{% 
\normalfont\scshape} 
\theorembodyfont{\normalfont} 
\theoremsymbol{\rule{.5em}{.5em}} 
\newtheorem{satz}{Satz:} 
\newtheorem{beweis}{Beweis:} 
\begin{satz} 
$1$ ist grö"ser als $0$. 
\begin{beweis} 
Da $1 = 1 \cdot 1$, ist $1$ eine Quadratzahl, und Quadratzahlen ungleich~$0$ sind immer grö"ser als~$0$. 
\end{beweis} 
\end{satz} 

\end{document}

Thanks for help :)

greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what ntheorem does, but maybe it is in conflict with another package. Try taking out amsthm, for example.

By the way, I don't think grö"ser will work, you probably want something like gr\"oser

Hi,

thanks for help. Yes it was AMS :(

The AMS-package is such important for me that probably I will disclaim the ntheorem-package.

Now, I guess I will use \Box as symbol for the end of a proof and put it right-aligned

greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use amsmath, according to the documentation linked to by las3rjock. You can also get some of the amsthm options by using amsthm as an option to ntheorem.

Or you can just not spend any time reading such a document and do it the ugly way :wink:

FAQ: How Can I Resolve the ntheorem Error in Latex?

What is latex and why is it considered a problem?

Latex is a synthetic material made from natural rubber and other chemicals. It is commonly used in gloves, condoms, and other medical and household products. It is considered a problem because it can cause allergic reactions in some individuals.

What are the symptoms of a latex allergy?

Symptoms of a latex allergy can range from mild to severe and can include skin irritation, hives, itching, and swelling. In more serious cases, it can cause difficulty breathing, wheezing, and anaphylaxis.

What percentage of the population has a latex allergy?

It is estimated that about 1% of the general population has a latex allergy. However, this percentage is higher among certain groups, such as healthcare workers and individuals with spina bifida.

What products should I avoid if I have a latex allergy?

If you have a latex allergy, it is important to avoid products made from or containing latex. This includes gloves, balloons, condoms, and certain types of rubber bands and adhesives. It is also important to inform healthcare providers about your allergy before any medical procedures.

Is there a cure for a latex allergy?

Currently, there is no cure for a latex allergy. However, avoiding contact with latex products can prevent allergic reactions. In some cases, allergy shots or immunotherapy may be recommended to help reduce the severity of symptoms over time.

Back