How can I run Python by getting values from Matlab

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for transferring input data from Matlab to a python script. These methods include using csv files, netcdf files, or converting Matlab mat files using the Scipy library. Another option is to have Matlab write out a text file and have Python read it in.
Nikhil N
I have a python script for which the input data are coming from Matlab. I have tried to use pymatlab, but it is failing. Can anyone suggest any other method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scipy has a function to load Matlab mat files.

https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/tutorial/io.html

Likes jedishrfu
Have Matlab write out a text file and have Python read it in.

Related to How can I run Python by getting values from Matlab

1. How do I import values from Matlab into Python?

To import values from Matlab into Python, you can use the matlab.engine module. This module allows you to create a connection between Matlab and Python, and you can then use the matlab.engine functions to retrieve the values from your Matlab workspace.

2. What is the difference between using the matlab.engine module and the scipy.io module to import values?

The matlab.engine module provides a direct connection between Matlab and Python, allowing you to retrieve values from your Matlab workspace in real-time. The scipy.io module, on the other hand, allows you to import and export data from a variety of file formats, including Matlab files. It does not provide a direct connection to Matlab.

3. Can I pass variables from Python to Matlab?

Yes, you can pass variables from Python to Matlab using the matlab.engine module. You can use the matlab.engine functions to create variables in your Matlab workspace and then use them in your Matlab code.

4. How do I handle errors when using the matlab.engine module?

You can use the try and except statements in your Python code to handle errors that may occur when using the matlab.engine module. You can also use the matlab.engine function isMATLABRunning() to check if Matlab is currently running and handle errors accordingly.

5. Can I use the matlab.engine module with any version of Matlab?

The matlab.engine module is only compatible with Matlab versions R2014b or later. If you are using an earlier version of Matlab, you can use the scipy.io module to import and export data from your Matlab files.