How can I show that the function is continuous at [0,1)U(1,2]?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a given function is continuous at a certain interval using the definition of continuity. The proof is divided into two cases, depending on which interval the point x_0 belongs to. It is shown that the function is continuous at [0,1) and (1,2] by choosing a specific value for delta and showing that it satisfies the condition for continuity. It is also discussed how to show that the function is not uniformly continuous at [0,1)U(1,2] by choosing a specific value for epsilon and showing that for any choice of delta, there exist two numbers that are delta apart but have a difference greater than epsilon. It is mentioned that delta may depend on both
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

How can I show that the function
$$f=\left\{\begin{matrix}
0, \text{ if } x \in [0,1)\\
1, \text{ if } x \in (1,2]
\end{matrix}\right.$$
is continuous at $[0,1) \cup (1,2]$ using the definition of continuity?

A function $f:A \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ is continuous at a point $x_0$:
$ \forall ε > 0$, $\exists δ > 0$ such that $\forall x \in A$ with
$$|x-x_0|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(x_0)|<\epsilon$$

How can I use this to show the continuity at the whole interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: How can I show that the function is contunuous at [0,1)U(1,2]?

By assumption the point $x_0$ in your definition is inside the domain of the function. Furthermore, it should say $|x-x_0|<\delta \text{ and }x\in \text{dom}(f) \implies |f(x)-f(x_0)| < \varepsilon$.

You want to show $f$ as you defined it is continuous. So pick a point $x_0\in [0,1) \cup (1,2]$ and show that the condition of being continuous is satisfied.

The proof is divided into two cases depending which interval $x_0$ belongs do. Let us say that $x_0 \in [0,1)$. In this case there exists $\delta > 0$ so that $x_0 + \delta < 1$. Show that this choice of delta works for any $\varepsilon$.

ThePerfectHacker said:
By assumption the point $x_0$ in your definition is inside the domain of the function. Furthermore, it should say $|x-x_0|<\delta \text{ and }x\in \text{dom}(f) \implies |f(x)-f(x_0)| < \varepsilon$.

You want to show $f$ as you defined it is continuous. So pick a point $x_0\in [0,1) \cup (1,2]$ and show that the condition of being continuous is satisfied.

The proof is divided into two cases depending which interval $x_0$ belongs do. Let us say that $x_0 \in [0,1)$. In this case there exists $\delta > 0$ so that $x_0 + \delta < 1$. Show that this choice of delta works for any $\varepsilon$.

Let $\epsilon >0$
  • $x_0 \in [0,1)$
In this case there exists $\delta > 0$ so that $x_0 + \delta < 1$. So could we take $\delta = 1-x_0$?
$\forall x: |x-x_0|< \delta=1-x_0$ (that means that $x$ bolongs to the first interval, so $f(x)=0$)
$|f(x)-f(x_0)|=|0-0|=0<\epsilon$
So the function is continuous at $[0,1)$

• $x_0 \in (1,2]$
In this case there exists $\delta > 0$ so that $x_0 - \delta > 1$. So $\delta = x_0-1$.
$\forall x: |x-x_0|< \delta=x_0-1$ (that means that $x$ bolongs to the second interval, so $f(x)=1$)
$|f(x)-f(x_0)|=|1-1|=0<\epsilon$
So the function is continuous at $(1,2]$

So we take $\delta=|1-x_0|$,to have one $\delta$ for all cases.

So the function is continuous at $[0,1) \cup (1,2]$.

Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is correct.

ThePerfectHacker said:
Yes that is correct.

So do I have to write the definition of the continuity at each case and find then an $\delta$ that is different at each case, or do I have to find first the $\delta=|1-x_0|$ that is equal for both cases and then continue with the definition??

And something else..How can I show that the function is not uniformly continuous at $[0,1) \cup (1,2]$??

mathmari said:
So do I have to write the definition of the continuity at each case and find then an $\delta$ that is different at each case, or do I have to find first the $\delta=|1-x_0|$ that is equal for both cases and then continue with the definition??

You can do it in one shot and just say to choose $\delta = |1-x_0|$, independent of the choice of $\varepsilon$.

And something else..How can I show that the function is not uniformly continuous at $[0,1) \cup (1,2]$??
Let $A = [0,1) \cup (1,2]$ to simplify notation.

Here is the definition of uniform continuity:
For every $\varepsilon > 0$ there exists $\delta > 0$ so that if $|x-y|<\delta \text{ and }x,y\in A$ then $|f(x)-f(y)| < \varepsilon$.

It may be helpful to write this in logical symbols:
$$ \forall \varepsilon > 0 ~ \exists \delta > 0 ~ \forall x,y\in A, ~ |x-y| < \delta \implies |f(x)-f(y)| < \varepsilon $$

When you show something is not uniformly continuous you need to negate that sentence. Make sure you understand why this is the negated version:
$$ \exists \varepsilon > 0 ~ \forall \delta > 0 ~ \exists x,y\in A, ~ |x-y| < \delta \text{ and } |f(x)-f(y)| \geq \varepsilon $$
In plain English you need to find an $\varepsilon$ so that for any choice of $\delta$ there will exist two numbers $x,y$ which are $\delta$ close but $f(x),f(y)$ are $\varepsilon$ apart. Try using $\varepsilon = \tfrac{1}{2}$. What is the motivation for choosing this number? Because the two levels of the function are at $1$ and $2$, the jump between them is $1$, so choosing a number smaller than $1$ will make the jump exceed the $\varepsilon$.

This is what you have to do. Show that for any $\delta > 0$ you can find $x,y\in A$ that are $\delta$ apart but $|f(x)-f(y)| \geq \tfrac{1}{2}$.

ThePerfectHacker said:
Here is the definition of uniform continuity:
For every $\varepsilon > 0$ there exists $\delta > 0$ so that if $|x-y|<\delta \text{ and }x,y\in A$ then $|f(x)-f(y)| < \varepsilon$.

And $\delta$ should be independent from $x_0$, or am I wrong?

ThePerfectHacker said:
In plain English you need to find an $\varepsilon$ so that for any choice of $\delta$ there will exist two numbers $x,y$ which are $\delta$ close but $f(x),f(y)$ are $\varepsilon$ apart. Try using $\varepsilon = \tfrac{1}{2}$. What is the motivation for choosing this number? Because the two levels of the function are at $1$ and $2$, the jump between them is $1$, so choosing a number smaller than $1$ will make the jump exceed the $\varepsilon$.

This is what you have to do. Show that for any $\delta > 0$ you can find $x,y\in A$ that are $\delta$ apart but $|f(x)-f(y)| \geq \tfrac{1}{2}$.

Is this the only way? Could I also use sequences to show that the function is not uniformly contnuous?

mathmari said:
And $\delta$ should be independent from $x_0$, or am I wrong?
No, $\delta$ does not need to be independent from $x_0$. In general, when you prove continuity $\delta$ depends on $x_0$ and on $\varepsilon$. In this specific example that you did the $\delta$ turned out to actually be independent of $\varepsilon$, but that is not common.
Is this the only way? Could I also use sequences to show that the function is not uniformly contnuous?

I think going to the very definition is the way to do it, not with sequences.

ThePerfectHacker said:
No, $\delta$ does not need to be independent from $x_0$. In general, when you prove continuity $\delta$ depends on $x_0$ and on $\varepsilon$. In this specific example that you did the $\delta$ turned out to actually be independent of $\varepsilon$, but that is not common.

Isn't it as followed?

• $f:A \rightarrow R$ continuous
    $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists \delta = \delta (\epsilon, x_0) >0: |x-x_0|< \delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(x_0)|< \epsilon$

• $f:A \rightarrow R$ uniformly continuous
    $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists \delta = \delta (\epsilon) >0: \forall x,y \in A \text{ with }|x-y|< \delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon$
ThePerfectHacker said:

I found the following solution in my textbook.

We suppose the sequences $x_n=1-\frac{1}{n+1}$ and $y_n=1+\frac{1}{n+1}$

We have that $x_n \in [0,1)$ and $y_n \in (1,2]$ and

$y_n-x_n=1+\frac{1}{n+1}-1+\frac{1}{n+1}=\frac{2}{n+1} \rightarrow 0$

But we have that $f(y_n)-f(x_n)=1-0=1 \nrightarrow 0$

That means that the function f is not uniformly continuous.

Could you explain me why we took these two sequences? Why didn't we check the uniformly continuity at each interval as we did with the continuity, but took a sequence of each interval instead?

mathmari said:
    $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists \delta = \delta (\epsilon, x_0) >0: |x-x_0|< \delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(x_0)|< \epsilon$

This is the definition of being continuous at $x_0$, not continuous on $A$. You should have wrote,
$$ \forall x_0\in A ~ \forall \varepsilon > 0 ~ \exists \delta > 0, ~ |x-x_0|<\delta \text{ and }x\in A\implies |f(x)-f(x_0)| < \varepsilon $$
In your solution you wrote $\delta = |1-x_0|$ as the $\delta$ which works, note that it does not depend on $\varepsilon$, so $\delta(x_0,\varepsilon) = |1-x_0|$. I think it is bothering you since $\varepsilon$ is not present in the formula, in which case you can do something silly like writing $\delta(x_0,\varepsilon) = |1-x_0| + 0\cdot \varepsilon$.

Could you explain me why we took these two sequences? Why didn't we check the uniformly continuity at each interval as we did with the continuity, but took a sequence of each interval instead?

Ignore the solutions in your book for the time being. Try to work out what we wrote above. And then we can figure out the book's solution.

mathmari said:
Let $\epsilon >0$
  • $x_0 \in [0,1)$
In this case there exists $\delta > 0$ so that $x_0 + \delta < 1$. So could we take $\delta = 1-x_0$?
$\forall x: |x-x_0|< \delta=1-x_0$ (that means that $x$ bolongs to the first interval, so $f(x)=0$)

• $x_0 \in (1,2]$
In this case there exists $\delta > 0$ so that $x_0 - \delta > 1$. So $\delta = x_0-1$.
$\forall x: |x-x_0|< \delta=x_0-1$ (that means that $x$ bolongs to the second interval, so $f(x)=1$)

So we take $\delta=|1-x_0|$,to have one $\delta$ for all cases.

So the function is continuous at $[0,1) \cup (1,2]$.

Is this correct?
No it is not.

Any value of δ>0 will not effect the value of |f(x)-f(x_o)}| so that, it must be less than ε.

Since :$x_{o}\in [0,1)$ and $x\in [0,1)$ ,then we have :

$|f(x)-f(x_{o})|=|0-0|<\epsilon$ no matter what is the value of δ>0

solakis said:
No it is not.
Which line is incorrect? (I see a couple of small problems in mathmari's solution, but they are easy to fix.)

solakis said:
Any value of δ>0 will not effect the value of |f(x)-f(x_o)}| so that, it must be less than ε.

Since :$x_{o}\in [0,1)$ and $x\in [0,1)$ ,then we have :

$|f(x)−f(x_o)|=|0−0|<\epsilon$ no matter what is the value of δ>0
But why is $x\in [0,1)$? What if $x_0=0.9$, $\delta=1$ and $x=1.5$? Then $|x_0-x|<\delta$, but $f(x_0)\ne f(x)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Which line is incorrect? (I see a couple of small problems in mathmari's solution, but they are easy to fix.)

Let us see.

mathmari said:
Let $\epsilon >0$
  • $x_0 \in [0,1)$

By taking :

$\delta = 1-x_0$

We have:

$ x_{o}-1<x-x_{o}< 1-x{o}\Longrightarrow 2x_{o}-1<x< 1$

But since $0\leq x_{o}<1$ that implies :

$-1\leq 2x_{o}-1<1$

Hence : -1<x<1 ,so x is not restricted within [0,1)

and we cannot conclude $|f(x)-f(x_{o}|<\epsilon $ and therefor that f is continuous on [0,1)

mathmari said:
  • $x_0 \in (1,2]$

In this case again the choice of delta is not correct you can check it up

solakis said:
Hence : -1<x<1 ,so x is not restricted within [0,1)

Yes, this is one of those small things that I would change. However, formally what you pointed out is not a problem. In posts #9 and #10 there was the following exchange.

mathmari said:
Isn't it as followed?

ThePerfectHacker said:
This is the definition of being continuous at $x_0$, not continuous on $A$. You should have wrote,
$$ \forall x_0\in A ~ \forall \varepsilon > 0 ~ \exists \delta > 0, ~ |x-x_0|<\delta \textbf{ and }\pmb{x\in A}\implies |f(x)-f(x_0)| < \varepsilon $$
Wikipedia agrees with Hacker's definition:
Given a function $f$ as above and an element $c$ of the domain $I$, $f$ is said to be continuous at the point $c$ if the following holds: For any number $\varepsilon > 0$, however small, there exists some number $\delta > 0$ such that for all $x$ in the domain of $f$ with $c − \delta < x < c + \delta$, the value of $f(x)$ satisfies
\[
f(c) - \varepsilon < f(x) < f(c) + \varepsilon.
\]
Other sources can be checked, but I think this definition is reasonable. Thus, for $f(x)$ in this thread, $x$ ranges only in the domain of $f$ and thus cannot become less than $0$. However, I would still choose $\delta$ in such a way that if $x_0\in[0,1)$, then $|x-x_0|<\delta$ implies that $x\in [0,1)$, for example, $\delta=\min(x_0,1-x_0)$.

mathmari said:
Isn't it as followed?

• $f:A \rightarrow R$ uniformly continuous
    $\forall \epsilon>0, \exists \delta = \delta (\epsilon) >0: \forall x,y \in A \text{ with }|x-y|< \delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon$

The theorem connecting uniform continuity and sequences belonging in the domain of the function is the following:

Given f:A=>R where A is a subset of R ,then f is uniform continuous iff for every pair of sequence belonging in A we have:

$lim_ {n\to\infty} |x_{n}-y_{n}|=0\Longrightarrow lim_{n\to\infty} |f(x_{n}-f(y_{n}|=0$

Now if you like, you can show ,that proving the negation of the "for every pair of sequences belonging in A we have: $lim_ {n\to\infty} |x_{n}-y_{n}|=0\Longrightarrow lim_{n\to\infty} |f(x_{n}-f(y_{n}|=0$" part of the theorem,as your book did, we can prove not uniform continuity

Last edited:
ThePerfectHacker said:

I tried for so long to find the appropriate delta ,but i could not.

Can you help ??

Related to How can I show that the function is continuous at [0,1)U(1,2]?

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous at a point?

A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This means that the function is smooth and has no abrupt changes or breaks at that point.

2. How do I show that a function is continuous at a point using the epsilon-delta definition?

The epsilon-delta definition states that a function f is continuous at a point c if for every positive number ε, there exists a positive number δ such that for all x within δ units of c, the value of f(x) is within ε units of f(c). In other words, we can make the difference between f(x) and f(c) as small as we want by choosing an appropriate value for δ.

3. What is the role of limits in showing continuity of a function?

Limits play a crucial role in determining the continuity of a function. In order for a function to be continuous at a point, the limit of the function at that point must exist and be equal to the value of the function at that point. This ensures that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function at that point.

4. Can a function be continuous at a point but not on an entire interval?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at a point but not on an entire interval. For example, a function may be continuous at x=1 but have a discontinuity at x=2. In order for a function to be continuous on an entire interval, it must be continuous at every point within that interval.

5. Are there any common techniques for showing the continuity of a function at a point?

Yes, there are several common techniques for showing continuity of a function at a point. These include using the epsilon-delta definition, using the continuity properties of basic functions such as polynomials and trigonometric functions, and using the intermediate value theorem. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its properties in order to determine the most effective approach for showing continuity at a specific point.