How can I show the equality,when a does not divide n?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary: I used.What I did is a little more elementary, but it's really a question of what is taken as given.In summary, we have shown that:$$\left\lfloor \frac{\left\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \right\rfloor}{b} \right\rfloor = \left\lfloor \frac{n}{ab} \right\rfloor$$by showing that for any integer $q$ and any remainder $0 \leq r < a$, we have:$$q = \left\lfloor \frac{\left
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that:

$$\lfloor \frac{ \lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor }{b} \rfloor = \lfloor \frac{n}{ab} \rfloor$$

That's what I have tried:

$$\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor =\max \{ m \in \mathbb{Z}: m \leq \frac{n}{a}\}$$

• $a \mid n:$
    $$\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor=\frac{n}{a}$$

Then:

$$\lfloor \frac{ \lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor }{b} \rfloor = \lfloor \frac{\frac{n}{a}}{b}\rfloor =\lfloor \frac{n}{ab} \rfloor $$
  • $a \nmid n:$
    $$\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor=\frac{n-k}{a},0<k\leq n$$
    $$\lfloor \frac{ \lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor }{b} \rfloor= \lfloor \frac{n-k}{ab}\rfloor= \max \{ m \in \mathbb{Z}: m \leq \frac{n-k}{ab}\} (*) $$
But..to show what the exercise asks,I have to show that $(*)$ is equal to $\max \{ m \in \mathbb{Z}: m \leq \frac{n}{ab}\}$.

How can I do this? (Thinking)(Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
  • $a \nmid n:$
    $$\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor=\frac{n-k}{a},0<k\leq n$$
    $$\lfloor \frac{ \lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor }{b} \rfloor= \lfloor \frac{n-k}{ab}\rfloor= \max \{ m \in \mathbb{Z}: m \leq \frac{n-k}{ab}\} (*) $$
But..to show what the exercise asks,I have to show that $(*)$ is equal to $\max \{ m \in \mathbb{Z}: m \leq \frac{n}{ab}\}$.

How can I do this? (Thinking)(Thinking)

Hi! ;)

Suppose we pick $q$ and $r$ such that:
$$n=qab + r$$
with
$$0 \le r < ab$$

Then:
$$q=\left\lfloor \frac{n}{ab} \right\rfloor$$
and:
$$0 \le \frac ra < b$$

It follows that:
$$\left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor
= \left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{qab + r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor
= \left\lfloor \frac{ qb + \left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor
= q + \left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor
= q
$$

In other words:
$$\left\lfloor \frac{n}{ab} \right\rfloor = \left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor$$
(Mmm)

Just a thought:

If $n = qa + r$ with $0 \leq r < a$

then:

$\lfloor \frac{n}{a}\rfloor = \lfloor q + \frac{r}{a}\rfloor = q$

since $0 \leq \dfrac{r}{a} < 1$

Repeating, we have:

$q = q'b + r'$, so that:

$\lfloor \frac{q}{b}\rfloor = \lfloor q' + \frac{r,}{b}\rfloor = q'$

Now $n = qa + r = (q'b + r')a + r = (q')(ab) + ar' + r$

So now all you have to do is show that:

$ar' + r < ab$.

I like Serena said:
Hi! ;)

Suppose we pick $q$ and $r$ such that:
$$n=qab + r$$
with
$$0 \le r < ab$$

Then:
$$q=\left\lfloor \frac{n}{ab} \right\rfloor$$
and:
$$0 \le \frac ra < b$$

It follows that:
$$\left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor
= \left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{qab + r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor
= \left\lfloor \frac{ qb + \left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor
= q + \left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor
= q
$$

In other words:
$$\left\lfloor \frac{n}{ab} \right\rfloor = \left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{n}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor$$
(Mmm)

How did you get from this: $\displaystyle{ \left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{qab + r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor }$ to this one: $ \displaystyle{ \left\lfloor \frac{ qb + \left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor } $?

evinda said:
How did you get from this: $\displaystyle{ \left\lfloor \frac{ \left\lfloor \frac{qab + r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor }$ to this one: $ \displaystyle{ \left\lfloor \frac{ qb + \left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor}{b}\right\rfloor } $?

We have:
$$
\left\lfloor \frac{qab + r}{a} \right\rfloor
=\left\lfloor qb + \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor
$$
Since $qb$ is an integer, it does not affect the rounding, so we can take it out of the floor operation.
So:
$$\left\lfloor qb + \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor
=qb + \left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor
$$

Deveno said:
Just a thought:

If $n = qa + r$ with $0 \leq r < a$

then:

$\lfloor \frac{n}{a}\rfloor = \lfloor q + \frac{r}{a}\rfloor = q$

since $0 \leq \dfrac{r}{a} < 1$

Repeating, we have:

$q = q'b + r'$, so that:

$\lfloor \frac{q}{b}\rfloor = \lfloor q' + \frac{r,}{b}\rfloor = q'$

Now $n = qa + r = (q'b + r')a + r = (q')(ab) + ar' + r$

I understood so far..

Deveno said:
So now all you have to do is show that:

$ar' + r < ab$.

But..why do I have to show now that $ar' + r < ab$ ? Could you explain it further to me? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
We have:
$$
$$
Since $qb$ is an integer, it does not affect the rounding, so we can take it out of the floor operation.
So:
$$\left\lfloor qb + \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor
=qb + \left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor
$$

A ok! I understand.. (Happy) And also,why is it: $\displaystyle{ q+ \frac{ \lfloor \frac{r}{a} \rfloor }{b}}=q$ ? Has it to do with the fact that: $\displaystyle{ \frac{r}{a}<b}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
A ok! I understand.. (Happy) And also,why is it: $\displaystyle{ q+ \frac{ \lfloor \frac{r}{a} \rfloor }{b}}=q$ ? Has it to do with the fact that: $\displaystyle{ \frac{r}{a}<b}$ ? (Thinking)

That should be:
$${ q+ \left\lfloor\frac{ \lfloor \frac{r}{a} \rfloor }{b}\right\rfloor}=q$$
And yes, when we divide a numerator by a greater denominator and round down, the result is zero.

I like Serena said:
We have:
$$
$$

This is true, but depending on "what is taken as given" it may need justification.

In other words, there should be a lemma/theorem somewhere that:

If $k \in \Bbb Z$, then for any $x \in \Bbb R$, we have:

$\lfloor x+ k\rfloor = \lfloor x \rfloor + k$.

I presented what I did in two stages, for this reason-

At each stage, when I was evaluating an expression:

$\left\lfloor \dfrac{qa+r}{a} \right\rfloor$

I wanted the "remainder fraction" to be clearly between 0 and 1, so that the floor of:

$\dfrac{qa+r}{a}$ was clearly $q$.

Now, from what I posted before, we have:

$\left\lfloor \dfrac{\lfloor\frac{n}{a}\rfloor}{b} \right\rfloor = \lfloor \frac{q}{b}\rfloor = q'$

If we have that $0 \leq ar' + r < ab$, we have:

$0 \leq \dfrac{ar' + r}{ab} < 1$, which means that:

$\left\lfloor \dfrac{n}{ab} \right\rfloor = \left\lfloor q' + \dfrac{ar' + r}{ab}\right\rfloor = q'$, as well, so the two are equal.

It's not hard to show that $0 \leq ar' + r < b$:

We certainly have, from $r' < b$ that $r' \leq b - 1$, so that $ar' \leq a(b - 1) = ab - a$.

We also have $r < a$, so:

$ar' + r \leq ab - a + r < ab - a + a = ab$.

In all fairness, this is what ILS's equation:

$0 \leq \dfrac{r}{a} < b$ also accomplishes, for that means:

$0 \leq \dfrac{r}{ab} < \dfrac{b}{b} = 1$.

I like Serena said:
That should be:
$${ q+ \left\lfloor\frac{ \lfloor \frac{r}{a} \rfloor }{b}\right\rfloor}=q$$
And yes, when we divide a numerator by a greater denominator and round down, the result is zero.

Oh yes,right! (Nod) So,can we say that $\frac{r}{a}<b \Rightarrow \lfloor \frac{r}{a} \rfloor <b$ ? (Thinking)

Also,doing it like that:

$$\lfloor \frac{ \lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor}{b} \rfloor=\lfloor \frac{ \lfloor \frac{qab+r}{a} \rfloor}{b} \rfloor, \text{ with } 0 \leq r<ab$$
both of the cases $a \mid n$ and $a \nmid n$ are included,so we don't have to take cases,right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Oh yes,right! (Nod) So,can we say that $\frac{r}{a}<b \Rightarrow \lfloor \frac{r}{a} \rfloor <b$ ? (Thinking)

Yep. We can do it like that! (Happy)
More specifically:
$$\left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor \le \frac{r}{a}$$
Also,doing it like that:

$$\lfloor \frac{ \lfloor \frac{n}{a} \rfloor}{b} \rfloor=\lfloor \frac{ \lfloor \frac{qab+r}{a} \rfloor}{b} \rfloor, \text{ with } 0 \leq r<ab$$
both of the cases $a \mid n$ and $a \nmid n$ are included,so we don't have to take cases,right? (Thinking)

Yep. We're covering both cases all at once. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
Yep. We can do it like that! (Happy)
More specifically:
$$\left\lfloor \frac{r}{a} \right\rfloor \le \frac{r}{a}$$

Yep. We're covering both cases all at once. (Mmm)

I understand! Thank you very much! (Cool)

FAQ: How can I show the equality,when a does not divide n?

1. How can I determine if a number is a multiple of another number?

To determine if a number a is a multiple of another number n, we can use the modulo operator (%). If the result of a % n is equal to 0, then a is a multiple of n.

2. What does it mean for a to not divide n?

If a does not divide n, it means that n cannot be divided evenly by a without leaving a remainder.

3. Can you provide an example of showing equality when a does not divide n?

Yes, for example, if a = 5 and n = 12, we can show equality by saying that 5 does not divide 12, since 12 divided by 5 leaves a remainder of 2.

4. How do I prove that a does not divide n?

To prove that a does not divide n, we can use the same method as in the first question. If a % n is not equal to 0, then a does not divide n.

5. Is it possible for a to not divide n and still have the two numbers be equal?

Yes, it is possible for a to not divide n and still have the two numbers be equal. This means that a and n have a common factor, but a is not a factor of n. For example, 6 and 15 are equal, but 3 does not divide 15 since it leaves a remainder of 3.