How can I show the inequality?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation involves solving a recursive relation using the master theorem and discussing how to show a specific inequality in the solution.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! (Mmm)

I have to define an asymptotic upper and lower bound of the recursive relation $T(n)=3 T(\frac{n}{3}+5)+\frac{n}{2}$.

Firstly,I solved the recursive relation: $T'(n)=3 T'(\frac{n}{3})+\frac{n}{2}$,using the master theorem:

$$a=3 \leq 1, b=3>1, f(n)=\frac{n}{2} \text{ asymptotically positive and increasing}$$

$$n^{\log_b a}=n$$

We see that : $f(n)=\Theta(n)$

So,from the master theorem: $$T'(n)=\Theta(n \lg n)$$

Then,I supposed that $T(n)=\Theta(n \lg n)$, so $\exists c_1, c_2>0 \text{ and } n_0 \geq 1 \text{ such that } \forall n \geq n_0: c_1 n \lg n \leq T(n) \leq c_2 n \lg n$

I showed that the inequality $c_1 n \lg n \leq T(n)$ is true..But..how can I show the inequality :

$$T(n) \leq c_2 n \lg n $$
?

I tried this:

Suppose that the inequality stands for $\frac{n}{3}+5$.Then: $$T(\frac{n}{3}+5) \leq c_2 (\frac{n}{3}+5) \lg (\frac{n}{3}+5)$$

$$T(n)=3 T(\frac{n}{3}+5)+\frac{n}{2}\leq 3 c_2 (\frac{n}{3}+5) \lg (\frac{n}{3}+5)+\frac{n}{2}=c_2(n+15) \lg (\frac{n}{3}+5)+\frac{n}{2} $$

How can I continue? (Thinking) (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could we show it maybe like that?

$$T(n) \leq c_2(n+15) \lg (\frac{n}{3}+5)+\frac{n}{2}$$

Let $\frac{n}{3}+5 \leq \frac{n}{2} \Rightarrow n \geq 30$

Then $\forall n \geq 30:$

$$T(n) \leq c_2(n+15) \lg (\frac{n}{3}+5)+\frac{n}{2} \leq c_2(n+15) \lg (\frac{n}{2})+n = c_2 n \lg (\frac{n}{2})+15 c_2 \lg (\frac{n}{2})+n =c_2 n \lg n-(c_2 n-15c_2 \lg n+15 c_2-\frac{n}{2}) \leq c_2 n \lg n, \text{ if } c_2 n-15c_2 \lg n+15 c_2-\frac{n}{2} \geq 0$$

(Thinking)

Related to How can I show the inequality?

What does it mean to show inequality?

To show inequality means to demonstrate that one value or set of values is greater than or less than another. This can be represented using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥, or through graphs and charts.

What are some common ways to visually represent inequality?

Some common ways to visually represent inequality include using a number line, bar graphs, pie charts, and scatter plots. These methods can help to clearly illustrate the relationship between two values or sets of values.

How can I use mathematical equations to show inequality?

Mathematical equations can be used to show inequality by including symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥ to compare two values or sets of values. These symbols can be used in algebraic equations or in geometric formulas.

What is the difference between strict and non-strict inequality?

In strict inequality, the two values being compared are not equal to each other. This is represented by the symbols < and >. In non-strict inequality, the values can be equal to each other, and this is represented by the symbols ≤ and ≥.

How can I use real-life examples to explain inequality?

Real-life examples can be used to explain inequality by showing how certain situations or scenarios have unequal outcomes or values. For example, comparing the income of a CEO to that of a minimum wage worker can demonstrate economic inequality.