How can I simplify error estimates for a given equation?

In summary, the solution for e_(n+1) is 1/k [(k-1)e_n + x^k/k (1/x_n^(k-1) - 1/x^(k-1))] where e_n = x_n - x. This
MelissaHerr

Homework Statement

Simplify: 1/k [(k-1) x_n+ x^k/(x_n^(k-1) )]- 1/k [(k-1)x+ x^k/x^(k-1) ] where e_n = x_n - x

x_n means x subscript n
e_n means e subscript n

It might be easier to look at the picture I typed out in MS Word.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135306726@N08/22156107431/in/dateposted-public/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I only got [(k-1)/k]e_n + x^k/k (1/x_n^(k-1) - 1/x^(k-1))

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help!

MelissaHerr said:

Homework Statement

Simplify: 1/k [(k-1) x_n+ x^k/(x_n^(k-1) )]- 1/k [(k-1)x+ x^k/x^(k-1) ] where e_n = x_n - x

x_n means x subscript n
e_n means e subscript n

It might be easier to look at the picture I typed out in MS Word.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135306726@N08/22156107431/in/dateposted-public/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I only got [(k-1)/k]e_n + x^k/k (1/x_n^(k-1) - 1/x^(k-1))

Please help!

Help how? What is wrong with your solution? (I have not checked the details, so you will need to tell me!)

Ray Vickson said:
Help how? What is wrong with your solution? (I have not checked the details, so you will need to tell me!)
It needs to be simplified into some form of e_n, so that I can use it to determind if it will converge.

Ray Vickson said:
e_(n+1) = x_(n+1) - x
= 1/k [(k-1) x_n+ x^k/(x_n^(k-1) )]- 1/k [(k-1)x+ x^k/x^(k-1) ]

Related to How can I simplify error estimates for a given equation?

What is the purpose of simplifying error estimates?

Simplifying error estimates is important because it allows scientists to more accurately and efficiently analyze their data. By reducing the complexity of error calculations, researchers can focus on interpreting the results and drawing meaningful conclusions from their experiments.

How do you simplify error estimates?

There are several ways to simplify error estimates, including using simpler mathematical equations or approximations, reducing the number of variables involved, and incorporating assumptions or simplifying assumptions into the calculations. It is important to carefully consider the impact of these simplifications on the accuracy and precision of the error estimates.

What are the limitations of simplifying error estimates?

While simplifying error estimates can be useful, it is important to recognize that it may also introduce some degree of uncertainty into the results. By simplifying the calculations, certain factors or sources of error may be overlooked or underestimated, leading to less accurate estimates. Therefore, it is important to carefully evaluate the potential limitations of simplification and consider the trade-offs between accuracy and efficiency.

Can simplifying error estimates be applied to all types of data?

The extent to which error estimates can be simplified will depend on the nature of the data and the specific research question being addressed. In some cases, simplifications may be appropriate and yield reasonable results, while in other cases, more sophisticated methods may be necessary to accurately account for all sources of error. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the type of data and the potential impact of simplification on their analyses.

How can you validate the accuracy of simplified error estimates?

One way to validate the accuracy of simplified error estimates is to compare them to more complex error calculations or to experimental results. This can help determine if the simplifications used were appropriate and if the resulting error estimates are reasonable. Additionally, conducting sensitivity analyses and assessing the impact of different simplifications on the results can also provide insight into the accuracy of the simplified error estimates.