How Can I Simulate the Random Path of Electrons in a Silicon Detector?

In summary, Rich is seeking equations to simulate the random path of low energy electrons passing through a silicon detector. He has assumed a straight line trajectory for heavy particles (protons and alpha particles) due to their loss of energy through ionisation and their heavier mass compared to electrons. However, he is aware that low energy electrons do not travel in straight lines and is looking for resources to accurately simulate their random path. Suggestions include reviewing the LBL Particle Data Group section on electron energy loss, particularly on multiple and Moliere scattering, and looking into the GEANT4 tutorial and user documents for further information.
RichardOsmond
Hi guys,

i have been simulating the passage of charged particles through my detector, which consist of protons, alpha particles and electrons. For the heavy particles (proton/alpha) i have assumed a straight line trajectory, since they are losing energy through ionisation and are heavy compared to the electrons they are interacting with. However, i know that low energy electrons do not travel in straight lines. Does anyone know where i can find some equations to simulate the random path of electrons as they pass through my silicon detector? Thanks.

Rich.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might start by reviewing the section on electron energy loss in the LBL Particle Data Group on the passage of particles through matter, especially the section on electron energy loss:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-passage-particles-matter.pdf

Protons and alphas do not have a straight line trajectory; the particles are constantly being deflected by Coulomb scattering off the nucleus. See section on multiple and Moliere scattering in the above link. Electrons have much higher deflections than protons.

You might also look through the GEANT4 tutorial held at SLAC in 2009:

http://www-public.slac.stanford.edu/geant4/

You might also look at the GEANT4 Users Guide and Physics Reference Manual in

http://geant4.web.cern.ch/geant4/support/userdocuments.shtml

Bob S

Related to How Can I Simulate the Random Path of Electrons in a Silicon Detector?

1. What are electron tracks in matter?

Electron tracks in matter are the paths or trajectories that electrons take when they travel through a material. These tracks are created when the electrons interact with the atoms in the material, causing them to lose energy and change direction.

2. How are electron tracks formed?

Electron tracks are formed when high energy electrons collide with atoms in a material, causing the electrons to scatter and create a path of ionization. This ionization can be seen as a trail of electron tracks when viewed under a microscope.

3. What can we learn from studying electron tracks in matter?

Studying electron tracks in matter can provide valuable information about the properties of the material, such as its density and atomic structure. It can also help us understand the behavior of electrons and their interactions with matter.

4. What factors affect the formation of electron tracks?

The formation of electron tracks can be affected by several factors, including the energy and velocity of the electrons, the density and composition of the material, and the presence of electric and magnetic fields.

5. How can the study of electron tracks be applied in different fields?

The study of electron tracks has many practical applications in fields such as materials science, nuclear physics, and medical imaging. It can also be used in particle accelerators and detectors to study subatomic particles and their interactions.