How Can I Solve for the Forces on Pruning Shears with Three Subsystems?

• Thread starter wnvl1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with 9 equations and 6 unknowns, with some equations being redundant. The first equations in each subsystem are identified as being redundant and not necessary for solving the problem.
wnvl1
Homework Statement
Find the forces in hinches B, C and D.
Relevant Equations
Sum forces = 0 and sum torques = 0
First subsystem:

$$C_x + F_{DE} \cos(45) = 0$$

$$C_y + F_{DE} \sin(45) + 20= 0$$

$$F_{DE} \sin(45) \times 25 + 20 \times 150= 0$$Second subsystem:

$$B_x - C_x = 0$$

$$B_y - C_y - A_y - 20= 0$$

$$-F \times 150 + A_y \times 60 - C_x \times 30 = 0$$Third subsystem:

$$-B_x - F_{DE} \cos(45) = 0$$

$$A_y -B_y - F_{DE} \sin(45)= 0$$

$$-A_y \times 60+ F_{DE} \sin(45) \times 55 = 0$$Problem is that I have 9 equations and only 6 unknwowns.

Attachments

• 9G6ey.png
    9G6ey.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 115
  • jsXKy.jpg
    jsXKy.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 116
Physics news on Phys.org
Some of your equations are redundant. For example, consider the first equation in each subsystem. These three equations are redundant.

Likes wnvl1
Thank you, I see. It was in my mind that all equations were needed. This solves my problem.

FAQ: How Can I Solve for the Forces on Pruning Shears with Three Subsystems?

1. What are pruning shears and why do we need to solve for the forces on them?

Pruning shears are a type of gardening tool used for trimming and cutting plants. They consist of two blades that pivot around a fulcrum, which allows for more force to be applied to the cutting edge. It is important to solve for the forces on pruning shears to understand their mechanical function and ensure their proper use and maintenance.

2. What are the three subsystems involved in solving for the forces on pruning shears?

The three subsystems involved in solving for the forces on pruning shears are the fulcrum, the blades, and the handles. The fulcrum is the point on which the blades pivot, while the blades are the cutting edges of the shears. The handles provide the force needed to close the blades and make the cut.

3. How do we calculate the forces on each subsystem of pruning shears?

To calculate the forces on each subsystem of pruning shears, we can use the principles of mechanical advantage and leverage. By considering the length of the blades, the distance between the fulcrum and the blades, and the force applied by the handles, we can determine the forces exerted on each subsystem.

4. What factors can affect the forces on pruning shears?

The forces on pruning shears can be affected by several factors, including the strength and design of the blades, the angle at which the handles are held, and the type of plant being cut. Additionally, the amount of force applied by the user can also impact the overall forces on the shears.

5. How can solving for the forces on pruning shears help in gardening and tool design?

Solving for the forces on pruning shears can provide valuable insights for gardening and tool design. By understanding the forces involved, we can optimize the design of pruning shears for efficiency and ease of use. This can also help in selecting the right tool for different gardening tasks and ensuring safe and effective use of the shears.

Back