How Can I Solve Integration Problems in Mathematica?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, Mathematica is a computational software program developed by Wolfram Research that is used for a wide range of mathematical, scientific, and engineering calculations and visualizations. It has advanced capabilities for solving various types of problems, including symbolic and numerical computation, data analysis, visualization, and programming. While learning Mathematica may be challenging for beginners, it provides a user-friendly interface and extensive documentation and resources. It is also widely used in various industries and fields for real-world applications, offering powerful and versatile capabilities, a user-friendly interface, and extensive support and documentation. Using Mathematica can save time and effort in solving complex problems and provide deeper insights into data.
Nusc

Homework Statement

I'm having problems interating the following function numerically using Mathematica.
efield := 10^15
ion := 10^-15
\[Epsilon] := 8.8541878176^-12
q:=1.60217648710^-19

Homework Equations

x2:= (1/2 - 1/(2*ion) Sqrt[ion^2 - (q^3*efield^2)/(\[Pi]*\[Epsilon])])
x1:= (1/2 + 1/(2*ion) Sqrt[ion^2 - (q^3*efield^2)/(\[Pi]*\[Epsilon])])
Integrate[(3/2)*
Sqrt[1 - q^3*
efield*x^(-1)/(4*\[Pi]*\[Epsilon]) - x], {x,
x1, x2}]

The Attempt at a Solution

I receive the following error message:
Integrate::ilim: "Invalid integration variable or limit(s) in \
{1000000000000000000000000000000\ 1.60218^(19\\:2212)\ \
x,1/2-500<<8>>0000\ <<1>>,1/2+500000000000000 \
Sqrt[1/(100<<25>>000)-<<1>>]}"

I hate computers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
M. version 6.0.1.0 yields -3.85436*10^36 - 1.25626*10^44 \[ImaginaryI]

!

It looks like there may be an issue with the limits of integration you have chosen. It's possible that they are too large for Mathematica to handle. You may want to try adjusting them and see if that helps. Additionally, make sure all of your units are consistent and that you have included all necessary parentheses in your code. Sometimes small errors like that can lead to unexpected results. Keep trying, and don't give up! Computers can be frustrating, but they are also incredibly powerful tools for solving complex problems like this one. Keep at it and you'll get it eventually.

FAQ: How Can I Solve Integration Problems in Mathematica?

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computational software program developed by Wolfram Research. It is used for a wide range of mathematical, scientific, and engineering calculations and visualizations.

How can I solve problems using Mathematica?

Mathematica has a wide range of functions and capabilities that can be used to solve various types of problems. It has advanced symbolic and numerical computation capabilities, as well as powerful tools for data analysis, visualization, and programming.

Is it difficult to learn Mathematica?

Learning Mathematica can be challenging, especially for those who are new to programming. However, the software has a user-friendly interface and provides extensive documentation and resources to help users learn and utilize its features.

Can Mathematica be used for real-world applications?

Yes, Mathematica is widely used in various industries and fields, including physics, finance, engineering, economics, and more. It can be used to solve complex mathematical problems and create visualizations and simulations for real-world applications.

What are the benefits of using Mathematica?

Some of the main benefits of using Mathematica include its powerful and versatile capabilities, its user-friendly interface, and its extensive documentation and support. It can also save time and effort in solving complex problems and can help users gain deeper insights into their data.