How Can I Solve Part C Using Buckingham Pi Theorem and Newton's Method?

In summary, Jay attempted to solve the equation for 10 K_Q using the straight line method but was unable to do so. He is now looking for other methods to solve the equation.
Jaydude
Hi, this is my first post, so sorry if this is posted on wrong section etc.

Do not worry about the initial part of dimensional analysis, that was fine - use Buckingham pi therem, but here's the prob...

Below is the question, I am stuck on being part C, however to show you guys what needs to be done, I've shown my working for parts a and b, and what I attempted for part C:

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1418483739.896810.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1418483780.517634.jpg

My working:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1418483839.231044.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1418483908.584099.jpg

Please help, I've been trying to work out q5 for hours, really need to move on! (Tutors do not provide solutions so you guys are my only hope)

Kind regards, Jay.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you rotate the images of the textbook so people don't have to read them sideways - or explain how they can be rotated with tools on the forum.

So, my neck is now kind of stiff, but I have a suggestion: It should be fairly easy to find an expression for, for instance, ##10 K_Q## in terms of ##J## (what is the equation of a straight line etc.).

You'd then have something like:
$$
J = \frac{V}{f D}\\
10 K_Q = a J + b = \frac{10 Q}{\rho f^2 D^5}
$$to work with.

One problem I see is that you've done all your calculations assuming that ρ of seawater is 1000 kg/m3. It's actually about 1025 kg/m3.

I assumed my question got deleted due to a pm I got, only just found I got replies - thanks!

The straight line method seems like a good idea- something I dismissed thinking it was too much for this question, maybe not. I'll post further workings soon if I get stuck/solve it.

Jaydude said:
I assumed my question got deleted due to a pm I got, only just found I got replies - thanks!

The straight line method seems like a good idea- something I dismissed thinking it was too much for this question, maybe not. I'll post further workings soon if I get stuck/solve it.
If you post any more images with your work, take more care than you did the first time. As already noted, the images of the problem were posted sideways. Also, your work was pretty messy, with several sections scribbled over. If you want us to help, don't make us have to work too hard to do so.

I had another go, but the equation at the end is...near impossible to solve - pics below: (I'm being as neat, clear and concise as possible!)

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1419002847.757069.jpg

Answer is 6.36m, if I enter that into the equation I get at the end, it's a close enough value, so the equation I think is right, just how would I solve that?!
Any other methods that can be recommended?

Thanks and kind regards - Jay

For polynomials of degree 5 or higher, you either solve them graphically by plotting them, or you use iteration. Since it's a polynomial in one variable (namely D), you can use Newton's method to speed up convergence on a solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method

Related to How Can I Solve Part C Using Buckingham Pi Theorem and Newton's Method?

1. What is dimensional analysis and why is it important?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science to convert units and check the consistency of mathematical equations. It is important because it helps scientists make accurate and precise calculations, and ensures that their results are meaningful and applicable in the real world.

2. How do you perform dimensional analysis?

To perform dimensional analysis, you must first identify the units of measurement in the problem. Then, using conversion factors and dimensional analysis rules, you can convert the units to the desired form. Finally, you can check the consistency of the units and cancel out any unnecessary ones to arrive at the correct answer.

3. What are the rules of dimensional analysis?

The rules of dimensional analysis include using conversion factors, multiplying and dividing units, cancelling out like units, and keeping track of units throughout the calculations. It is also important to remember that the units must always be consistent and the final answer should be expressed in the correct units.

4. Can dimensional analysis be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used in all scientific fields as long as there are units of measurement involved. It is commonly used in physics, chemistry, engineering, and other disciplines that involve calculations and measurements.

5. How can dimensional analysis help in problem-solving?

Dimensional analysis can help in problem-solving by providing a systematic and organized approach to converting units and checking the consistency of calculations. It can also help identify errors or discrepancies in calculations, leading to more accurate and reliable results.