How can I solve the 2nd order PDE for \beta^{(0)} in geochemical thermodynamics?

There are a bunch of exponents, logs, and polynomials, but nothing that screams "I'm not integrable."
presentt
Hi, I've spent days trying to solve some equations in a paper (referenced below) that describes it as a "straightforward, albeit lengthy integration," but I can't work out the "straightforward" bit. The notation is also odd, which doesn't seem to help my problem. Perhaps someone could help?

I am trying to solve for the function [tex]\beta^{(0)}[/tex], which is a function of T and P (though P is held constant). Ultimately, I need a value of [tex]\beta^{(0)}[/tex] at a specific temperature T.

I am given in the paper:
[tex]\beta^{(0)L}=(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)}}{\partial T})_{P}[/tex]
[tex]\beta^{(0)J}=(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)L}}{\partial T})_{P}+(2/T)\beta^{(0)L}[/tex]

Also given,
[tex]\beta^{(0)J}=6U_{5}+\frac{2U_{6}}{T}+\frac{U_{7}}{T^{2}}+\frac{526U_{8}}{T(T-263)^{3}}[/tex]
where the U values are empirical constants.

I (think) I managed to solve the following expression for [tex]\beta^{(0)}[/tex]:
[tex]\beta^{(0)}=\int\beta^{(0)J}\frac{T}{1+2ln(T)}\partial T[/tex]
but I cannot figure out how to integrate that expression.

Thus, I also tried to express the functions as a PDE:
[tex]\beta^{(0)J}=(\frac{\partial^{2}\beta^{(0)}}{\partial T^{2}})_{P}+\frac{2}{T}(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)}}{\partial T})_{P}[/tex]
and then substitute the U-series empirical expression of [tex]\beta^{(0)J}[/tex] and subtract it from each side. However, I am as at much of a loss to solve that expression for [tex]\beta^{(0)}[/tex] as the integral expression above.

Can anyone help me out at all? These equations are important to work out some geochemical thermodynamics I need to set up an experiment.

Reference:
Rogers, P. S. Z. and Pitzer, K. S., High-Temperature Thermodynamic Properties of Aqueous Sodium-Sulfate Solutions. Journal of Physical Chemistry 85 (20), 2886 (1981).

Physics news on Phys.org
presentt said:
a "straightforward, albeit lengthy integration,"

In fact, the method that comes into my mind is VERY lenghty:

1) First, decompose the T(T-263)^3 term with Hermite theorem:

[tex]\frac{526U_8}{T(T-263)^3}=\frac{a_1}{T}+\frac{a_2}{(T-263)^3}+\frac{a_3}{(T-263)^2}+\frac{a_4}{(T-263)}[/tex]

To find the coefficients a_1 match the two sides, you should find (I made the calculations very quickly, so I don't guarantee that's correct)

[tex]a_1=-\frac{526U_8}{(263)^3}[/tex]

[tex]a_2=\frac{526U_8}{263}[/tex]

[tex]a_3=-\frac{526U_8}{(263)^2}[/tex]

[tex]a_4=\frac{2\cdot 526U_8}{(263)^3}[/tex]

2) Now try the ansatz:

[tex]\beta^{(0)L}=b_1T+b_2+b_3\log T+b_4/T+b_5/T^2+b_6/(T-263)+b_7/(T-263)^2+b_8/(T-263)^3[/tex]

Calculate the derivative of this and substitute into the differential equation for [tex]\beta^{(0)L}[/tex], finding in this way the coefficients b_i.

3) Finally, to find [tex]\beta^{(0)J}[/tex], simply integrate, which should be simple because [tex]\beta^{(0)L}[/tex] is a sum of things easy to integrate.

4) I'm afraid this procedure will cost you half a day...!

presentt said:
[tex]\beta^{(0)L}=(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)}}{\partial T})_{P}[/tex]
[tex]\beta^{(0)J}=(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)L}}{\partial T})_{P}+(2/T)\beta^{(0)L}[/tex]

Multiply the second equation by an integrating factor [itex]\mu(T)[/itex], demanding that the right hand side is of the product rule form u v' + u' v. This gives an easy DE for mu, but you can also just check that [itex]\mu = T^2[/itex] will work. You thus have

[tex]T^2 \beta^{(0)J} = \frac{\partial}{\partial T}(T^2\beta^{(0)L}).[/tex]

Integrating,

[tex]\beta^{(0)L}(T,P) = \left(\frac{T_0}{T}\right)^2\beta^{(0)L}(T_0,P) + \frac{1}{T^2} \int_{T_0}^T dt~t^2 \beta^{(0)J}(t)[/tex]
where the pressure dependence enters as the initial condition on beta^L.

Since [itex]\beta^{(0)L}[/itex] is just a derivative of [itex]\beta^{(0)}[/itex], you can just integrate again,

[tex]\beta^{(0)}(T,P) = \beta^{(0)}(T_0,P) + T_0^2\beta^{(0)L}(T_0,P)\left(\frac{1}{T_0}-\frac{1}{T}\right) + \int_{T_0}^T \frac{d\tau}{\tau^2}~\int_{T_0}^\tau dt~t^2 \beta^{(0)J}(t)[/tex]

This might not be the most pleasant set of integrals to do, but it looks like they should be doable in closed form.

Last edited:

Related to How can I solve the 2nd order PDE for \beta^{(0)} in geochemical thermodynamics?

1. What is a 2nd order PDE?

A 2nd order PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to two or more independent variables. It is called a 2nd order PDE because it includes second-order derivatives of the function.

2. What types of problems can be solved using 2nd order PDEs?

2nd order PDEs are commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They can be used to solve problems involving diffusion, wave propagation, and fluid dynamics, among others.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order PDE?

The method for solving a 2nd order PDE depends on the type of equation and its boundary conditions. In general, there are several techniques that can be used, such as separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods like finite difference or finite element methods.

4. What are the differences between 1st and 2nd order PDEs?

The main difference between 1st and 2nd order PDEs is the number of independent variables and their respective derivatives involved in the equation. 1st order PDEs involve only first-order derivatives, while 2nd order PDEs involve second-order derivatives. Additionally, 2nd order PDEs are generally more complex and have a wider range of applications.

5. Can 2nd order PDEs be solved analytically or numerically?

2nd order PDEs can be solved using both analytical and numerical methods. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact solution to the equation using mathematical techniques, while numerical solutions involve approximating the solution using numerical algorithms and computer simulations.