How can I solve the complex equation z^6 - 4z^3 + 4 = i?

In summary, the problem says to find all solutions z of the equation: z^6 - 4z^3 + 4 = i. First, the problem was factored into (z^3 -2)^2 = i, and w=z^3 -2 was solved. Next, w^2=i was tried, but the equation became stuck. The problem then tries to use deMoivre to extract roots, but gets stuck. However, by solving w=cos(pi/4)+i*sin(pi/4), one of the square roots of i is found.
synapsis
The problem says: Find all solutions z of the equation: z^6 - 4z^3 + 4 = i

First I factored the equation into (z^3 -2)^2 = i, set w= z^3 -2 and solved w^2 = i for w_1 = sqrt(i) and w_2 = -sqrt(i). I tried setting z^3 - 2 = sqrt(i) and solving but I get stuck there. I really have no idea how to go about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to figure out how to use deMoivre to extract roots. For example to solve w^2=i, write i=e^(i*(pi/2)), e^(i*(pi/2+2pi)), ... Now if w^n=e^(i*theta) a root is w=e^(i*theta/2). Can you write both of your roots +/-sqrt(i) in the rectangular form a+bi?

hmm...I guess I don't really see what you mean. Is it possible to write +/-sqrt(i) in the form a+bi? I can't figure out how.

DeMoivre! e^(i*theta)=cos(theta)+i*sin(theta). You must have seen this somewhere. So e^(i*pi/2)=cos(pi/2)+i*sin(pi/2)=0+i*1=i. Now (e^(i*theta))^2=e^(i*2*theta). So w=e^(i*pi/4) solves w^2=e^(i*pi/2)=i. So w=cos(pi/4)+i*sin(pi/4). That's one of the square roots of i. What is it in rectangular form?

oh yeah, yeah, now I see. That would be w=sqrt(2)/2 + i*sqrt(2)/2. So now I need to solve w=z^3 -2 = sqrt(2)/2 + i*sqrt(2)/2? Since the original equation is of degree six shouldn't I have six solutions?

Sure. There are two square roots of i. So z^3=2+sqrt(2)/2+sqrt(2)*i/2 or z^3=2+(-sqrt(2)/2-sqrt(2)*i/2). Those are two cubic equations. Each one has three roots. Now it gets a little hairy because you have to express the right side of those equations in the form r*e^(i*theta) and find 3 angles phi such that 3*phi is theta. Then your roots are r^(1/3)*e^(i*phi) for each of those angles. But conceptually its the same and finding the square roots of i.

Related to How can I solve the complex equation z^6 - 4z^3 + 4 = i?

1. What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is an equation that contains one or more variables and uses mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation to solve for those variables.

2. How do you solve a complex equation?

To solve a complex equation, you need to follow a systematic process that involves simplifying the equation, isolating the variable you want to solve for, and performing the necessary operations to find its value. This can involve using algebraic techniques, such as combining like terms, distributing, and factoring, as well as using mathematical properties, such as the associative and distributive properties.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve complex equations?

Some common techniques used to solve complex equations include substitution, elimination, and graphing. These techniques involve manipulating the equation in various ways to make it easier to solve for the variable.

4. How can I check if my solution to a complex equation is correct?

To check if your solution to a complex equation is correct, you can plug the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct.

5. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a complex equation?

If you get stuck while solving a complex equation, you can try breaking it down into smaller, simpler steps. You can also ask for help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor. It's important to stay patient and persistent, as solving complex equations takes time and practice.

Back