How can I solve the equation ln(x)/ln(x/y)=e^7 using mathematical methods?

• MHB
  • Thread starter lkcl
  • Start date
In summary, the software engineer is trying to solve an equation that is generated by a program called ries. The equation is: ln(x)/ln(x/y) = e^7. The software engineer is having difficulty because the left hand side (ln(x)) is very small and the right hand side (e^7) is very large.
lkcl
dear all,

my apologies if this is the wrong location to post, i am a software engineer whose maths was at A and S-Level back in 1987. i am on the exciting but empirical (iterative) track of the electron's magnetic moment: using a program called ries i have an *exact* matching equation - details are here if anyone'e interested -
Physics Discussion Forum ? View topic - [RFC] mass of electron to measured accuracy to date

the problem is that ries generates its solutions in LHS and RHS randomly, LHS is in terms of x, RHS is not. the equation is:

ln(x)/ln(x/y)=e^7

or, actually, ries came out with it as:

ln(x^(e^7)) / ln(x) = 1/(e^7)

and i need to solve that. it looks to me like it's "log (in base x) of x itself divided by a constant equals a constant!" which is... crazed :)

is there actually a mathematical solution to this, or would it be necessary to use iteration (again)?

thank you for any help.

l.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
achh, i fear this may have been down to a range error in the double-precision floating point of standard computer maths libraries. the left hand side 0.16^e^7 is veeery small (3e-3000)

lkcl said:
dear all,

my apologies if this is the wrong location to post, i am a software engineer whose maths was at A and S-Level back in 1987. i am on the exciting but empirical (iterative) track of the electron's magnetic moment: using a program called ries i have an *exact* matching equation - details are here if anyone'e interested -
Physics Discussion Forum ? View topic - [RFC] mass of electron to measured accuracy to date

the problem is that ries generates its solutions in LHS and RHS randomly, LHS is in terms of x, RHS is not. the equation is:

ln(x)/ln(x/y)=e^7

or, actually, ries came out with it as:

ln(x^(e^7)) / ln(x) = 1/(e^7)

and i need to solve that. it looks to me like it's "log (in base x) of x itself divided by a constant equals a constant!" which is... crazed :)

is there actually a mathematical solution to this, or would it be necessary to use iteration (again)?

thank you for any help.

l.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\ln{(x)}}{\ln{ \left( \frac{x}{y} \right) }} &= e^7 \\ \frac{\ln{(x)}}{\ln{(x)} - \ln{(y)}} &= e^7 \\ \ln{(x)} &= e^7 \left[ \ln{(x)} - \ln{(y)} \right] \\ \ln{(x)} &= e^7\ln{(x)} - e^7\ln{(y)} \\ e^7\ln{(y)} &= e^7\ln{(x)} - \ln{(x)} \\ e^7\ln{(y)} &= \left( e^7 - 1 \right) \ln{(x)} \\ \ln{(y)} &= \left( \frac{e^7 - 1}{e^7} \right) \ln{(x)} \\ \ln{(y)} &= \left( 1 - e^{-7} \right) \ln{(x)} \\ \ln{(y)} &= \ln{ \left( x ^{1 - e^{-7}} \right) } \\ y &= x^{ 1 - e^{-7}} \end{align*}$

Hello lkcl and welcome to MHB! :D

I have moved this thread as it's really a problem in elementary rather than linear or abstract algebra.

Prove It has provided a solution to the first equation, for $y$ in terms of $x$. Now the second equation you gave is not an identity as it implies \(\displaystyle e^7=e^{-7}\).

To show this consider:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\ln\left(x^{e^7} \right)}{\ln(x)}=\frac{1}{e^7}\)

Now, to the numerator on the left, we may apply the logarithmic property:

\(\displaystyle \log_a\left(b^c \right)=c\cdot\log_a(b)\) to obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{e^7\ln(x)}{\ln(x)}=\frac{1}{e^7}\)

Dividing out common factors on the left, we have:

\(\displaystyle e^7=\frac{1}{e^7}\)

And we may rewrite the right side using a negative exponent:

\(\displaystyle e^7=e^{-7}\)

Thus, the given equation is not true, however, the following are true:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\ln\left(x^{e^7} \right)}{\ln(x)}=e^7\)

or

\(\displaystyle \frac{\ln\left(x^{e^{-7}} \right)}{\ln(x)}=\frac{1}{e^7}\)

This is a result of:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{\ln\left(x^{y} \right)}{\ln(x)}\)

We could also view this using the change of base formula \(\displaystyle \frac{\log_a(b)}{\log_a(c)}=\log_c(b)\) to write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\ln\left(x^{y} \right)}{\ln(x)}=\log_x\left(x^y \right)=y\log_x(x)=y\cdot1=y\)

hallo, hallo, thanks for the welcome - yes this is one of those things that i am floundering around with, taking on far more than i can chew, but patiently making progess. ries - amazing program RIES - Find Algebraic Equations, Given Their Solution at MROB - has a few bugs. although its developer has clearly sorted out various bugs removing things like "1=1" or "x/x", finding things like ln(x)/ln(x/y)=y as a "solution" are much harder to.. to... not come up with. as this was the first time i used ries, i didn't know it could make that kind of mistake.

but, here's the good news: thanks to the two posts, i learned about how to manipulate algebraic logarithm equations :) for that i am extremely grateful.

p.s. "Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)" - great album! love jacob's ladder.

FAQ: How can I solve the equation ln(x)/ln(x/y)=e^7 using mathematical methods?

What is ln(x)?

ln(x) is the natural logarithm of x. It is the inverse function of the exponential function e^x.

What is e^7?

e^7 is the mathematical constant e raised to the power of 7. It is approximately equal to 1096.633158.

What is ln(x/y)?

ln(x/y) is the natural logarithm of the quotient of x and y. It is equal to ln(x) - ln(y).

What does it mean to "solve" ln(x)/ln(x/y)=e^7?

In mathematics, solving an equation means finding the value(s) of the variable(s) that make the equation true. In this case, we are looking for the value(s) of x and y that make the equation ln(x)/ln(x/y)=e^7 true.

How do I solve ln(x)/ln(x/y)=e^7?

To solve this equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and properties of logarithms. First, rewrite the equation as ln(x) - ln(x/y) = e^7. Then, use the property ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b) to simplify the equation to ln(x) + ln(y) = e^7. Finally, use the property ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab) to rewrite the equation as ln(xy) = e^7. Take the exponential of both sides to get xy = e^e^7, and solve for x and y accordingly.