How can I solve the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for this time-dependent potential?

• Thread starter dipole
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the solution to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation with a given time-dependent potential. The Hamiltonian is derived and the attempt at a solution is presented, but the speaker is having trouble separating the variables. They ask if they have used the wrong Hamiltonian or if they need to guess the correct form of S. The other person suggests using the method of characteristics to solve the problem.
dipole

Homework Statement

I'm given the time-dependent potential,

[tex] V(x,t) = -mAxe^{-\gamma t} [/tex]

and asked to find the solution to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation,

[tex] H(x,\frac{\partial S}{\partial x}) + \frac{ \partial S}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Without any additional information, I'm assuming the correct Hamiltonian is given simply by,

[tex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m} -mAxe^{-\gamma t} [/tex]

which gives me,

[tex] \frac{1}{2m}\bigg ( \frac{\partial S}{\partial x} \bigg )^2 - mAxe^{-\gamma t} + \frac{ \partial S}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex]

but I'm having troule separating the variables in order to solve this equation. Normally, when [itex] V = V(x) [/itex] you can use the form [itex] S(x,\alpha,t) = W(x,\alpha) - Et [/itex], but here this won't work.

Have I somehow used the wrong Hamiltonian, or do I just need to guess correctly the right form of [itex] S [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest using the method of characteristics to solve this PDE problem.

FAQ: How can I solve the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for this time-dependent potential?

1. What is the Hamilton-Jacobi problem?

The Hamilton-Jacobi problem is a mathematical problem in the field of classical mechanics that involves finding a function that satisfies a partial differential equation. This function, known as the Hamilton-Jacobi function, is used to describe the dynamics of a physical system.

2. How is the Hamilton-Jacobi problem related to the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian, which is a function of the position and momentum variables of a system, is closely related to the Hamilton-Jacobi function. In fact, the Hamilton-Jacobi function can be derived from the Hamiltonian using a mathematical technique known as the Hamilton-Jacobi method.

3. Why is the Hamilton-Jacobi problem important in physics?

The Hamilton-Jacobi problem is important because it allows us to describe the motion of a physical system in a more intuitive way than using the equations of motion. The Hamilton-Jacobi function provides a complete description of the system's dynamics, making it a powerful tool for solving problems in classical mechanics.

4. What are some applications of the Hamilton-Jacobi problem?

The Hamilton-Jacobi problem has many applications in physics, including celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful in systems with a large number of degrees of freedom, where traditional methods of solving the equations of motion become cumbersome.

5. Can the Hamilton-Jacobi problem be solved analytically?

In general, the Hamilton-Jacobi problem cannot be solved analytically for complex systems. However, there are special cases where an analytical solution is possible, such as in systems with a high degree of symmetry. In most cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solution to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation.