How Can I Solve These Physics Homework Problems on Motion and Friction?

• Thread starter fronomo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: Then consider the forces acting on the left block - there are two of them. You can express both of them in terms of the net force on the system and the unknown mass.Problem 31. Homework Statement Two packages at UPS start sliding down the ramp shown in the figure. Package A has a mass of 4.00 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.210. Package B has a mass of 9.00 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.140.How long does it take package A to reach the bottom?2. Homework EquationsF=m*a3. The Attempt at a SolutionI'm not even really sure how to attempt this problem. I know
fronomo
I'm just going to post a few questions in this post. After missing a day of class I am having difficulty with the homework for the day.

Problem 1

Homework Statement

The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.0 kg block in figure and the table is 0.260.
knight_Figure_08_35.jpg

What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Homework Equations

MkN=ff
T=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I went through and calculated the force of friction which gave me 5.096N. However, I'm not entirely sure where to go from there. I know that you need the sum of the forces acting on the 2kg mass in the x direction and divide that by the total mass of the system.

Problem 2
1. Homework Statement
The 100 kg block in figure takes 5.20 to reach the floor after being released from rest.
knight_Figure_08_33.jpg

What is the mass of the block on the left?

Homework Equations

T=m*a

I know that I can figure out the exact acceleration based on the time and mass and such, but how would I go about solving for the other mass?

Problem 3
1. Homework Statement
Two packages at UPS start sliding down the ramp shown in the figure. Package A has a mass of 4.00 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.210. Package B has a mass of 9.00 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.140.
knight_Figure_08_25.jpg

How long does it take package A to reach the bottom?

Homework Equations

F=m*a

I'm not even really sure how to attempt this problem. I know you can draw a free body diagram and figure out the equal and opposite forces, but where to go from there?

Problem 4
1. Homework Statement
A rope attached to a 20.0 wood sled pulls the sled up a 21.0 snow-covered hill. A 11.0 wood box rides on top of the sled.
If the tension in the rope steadily increases, at what value of the tension does the box slip?

Homework Equations

T=m*a

This is another one I'm not real sure how to start on, any ideas?

Thanks for any and all help.

-Chris

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fronomo,

fronomo said:
I'm just going to post a few questions in this post. After missing a day of class I am having difficulty with the homework for the day.

Problem 1

Homework Statement

The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.0 kg block in figure and the table is 0.260.

Homework Equations

MkN=ff
T=m*a
This does not look right to me. The net force is equal to ma; but here there are two ropes and therefore two tensions that are acting in opposite direction, as well as the force of friction. What would the net force in the x direction be for the 2kg object?

fronomo said:

Problem 1

Homework Statement

knight_Figure_08_35.jpg

Homework Equations

MkN=ff
T=m*a

I went through and calculated the force of friction which gave me 5.096N. However, I'm not entirely sure where to go from there. I know that you need the sum of the forces acting on the 2kg mass in the x direction and divide that by the total mass of the system.

You seem to have everything you need to solve this. When you sum the forces, just remember the directions each is acting - it should be fairly obvious for the tensile forces and the frictional force will work opposite the direction of motion.

Problem 2
1. Homework Statement
The 100 kg block in figure takes 5.20 to reach the floor after being released from rest.

What is the mass of the block on the left?

2. Homework Equations
T=m*a

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know that I can figure out the exact acceleration based on the time and mass and such, but how would I go about solving for the other mass?

Start by finding the net acceleration of the system -- but don't use mass to do so as it has an unknown at this point, just use the distance traveled, initial velocity, and time.

Once you have the net acceleration, you can find the net force acting on the system in terms of the known and unknown masses.

Related to How Can I Solve These Physics Homework Problems on Motion and Friction?

What are interrelated motion problems?

Interrelated motion problems involve multiple objects or systems that are moving and interacting with each other. These types of problems often require the use of equations and concepts from physics, such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

What are some common examples of interrelated motion problems?

One common example is a car traveling on a curved road, where the car's velocity and the road's curvature are interrelated. Another example is a pendulum swinging back and forth, where the pendulum's position and speed are interrelated.

How do you approach solving interrelated motion problems?

The first step is to identify all the variables and quantities involved in the problem, such as distance, time, velocity, and acceleration. Then, use equations and principles from physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to set up relationships between these variables and solve for the unknown quantities.

What are some common challenges when solving interrelated motion problems?

One challenge is keeping track of all the variables and their relationships, which can become complex in more advanced problems. Another challenge is choosing the appropriate equations and principles to use, as there are often multiple ways to approach a problem.

How can interrelated motion problems be applied in real-life situations?

Interrelated motion problems can be used to understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems in the real world, such as the motion of planets in our solar system or the movement of a roller coaster. They can also be applied in engineering and design, such as in creating efficient transportation systems or optimizing the performance of machines.