How Can I Solve These Vector Motion Problems for My Test Tomorrow?

• Thread starter Houston Suns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary: I don't understand how to do it!I don't understand the diagrams either!In summary, the truck would have to travel as fast as the horizontal component of the planes velocity to stay beneath the airplane.
Houston Suns
I really need help with these questions on my review sheet. I don't understand them and i have a test tommorrow. Can somebody show me how to do it, along with the answer. Do NOT answer in Significant Figures

Homework Statement

A truck travels beneath an airplane that is
moving 150 km/h at an angle of 42 degrees to the
ground.
a) How fast must the truck travel to stay
beneath the airplane? Answer in units of
km/h.
b) What is the magnitude of the vertical com-
ponent of the velocity of the plane? Answer
in units of km/h.

Homework Equations

You could try to answer this one also its difficult. I have no idea how to do it.
During the rodeo, a clown runs 13 m north,
turns 28 degrees east of north, and runs 3.6 m. Then,
after waiting for the bull to come near, the
clown turns due east and runs 6.6 m to exit
the arena.
a) What is the magnitude of the clown's
total displacement? Answer in units of m.
b) How many degrees east of north is the
clown's total displacement? Answer in units
of degrees.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think its 114.9 for A and 96.8 for B

Do NOT answer in Significant Figures

Physics news on Phys.org
Houston Suns said:
You could try to answer this one also its difficult.

Alternatively, you could try to answer the questions!

Forum rules state that you must show some work before we can help you. What have you tried?

I've tried for hours to answer the questions...it seems impossible to do...I just need help! I'm new to the class, and my teacher isn't helping me much.

Well, could you perhaps post some of the work you've done thus far, and someone can point out errors in your reasoning. You must have some incling as to how to start. Have you covered any equations in class that you think may be relevant, for example?

well just think about it, the plane is at an angle 42 degrees from the ground. The truck would have to travel as fast as the horizontal component of the planes velocity. Do you remember your basic trig? sin (x)= opp/ hyp and cos(x)=adj/hyp well now just imagine the triangle that the plane makes and what the adjacent and oppossite values are. all you need to solve the equation I've given (further hint : hyp= velocity of plane, 150 km/h)

For the second, it will really help to draw a diagram that maps out the clowns motion. Have you done that?

Related to How Can I Solve These Vector Motion Problems for My Test Tomorrow?

1. What do you mean by "Impossible Questions NEED HELP"?

"Impossible Questions NEED HELP" refers to questions that are difficult or impossible to answer without assistance or additional information.

2. Why are these questions impossible to answer on their own?

These questions are impossible to answer because they may lack necessary details, have multiple possible answers, or require specialized knowledge or expertise.

3. Can you give an example of an "Impossible Question NEED HELP"?

Sure. An example of an "Impossible Question NEED HELP" would be "What is the meaning of life?" This question is impossible to answer definitively without more context or personal beliefs.

4. How can I find help or guidance for these types of questions?

You can find help or guidance for "Impossible Questions NEED HELP" by conducting research, consulting experts in the field, or seeking advice from others who may have experience with similar questions.

5. Is it important to ask for help when faced with an "Impossible Question NEED HELP"?

Yes, it is important to ask for help when faced with an "Impossible Question NEED HELP" in order to gain a better understanding and potentially find a satisfactory answer.