How can I solve this inequality problem involving factoring?

• Thread starter brwneyes02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the student attempted to solve an inequality but was unable to. They were able to find the solutions to the equation and the inequality.
brwneyes02

Homework Statement

Solve the inequality

(2x-3)(4x+5)>(x+6)(x+6)

Homework Equations

factoring?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to the point where

(7x)^2-14x-51>0 I can't solve this, because it can't be factored out. So am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good work reaching that quadratic inequality. It would be related to a parabola opening upward. Look for the critical points. Does this have no roots, one root, or two roots? Which intervals make the quadratic inequality true?

For critical points, remember the general solution to a quadratic equation, or can you factor the expression?
EDIT: In fact, you're right. 7x^2-14x-51 is not factorable. Use either completing the square, or the solution to a quadratic equation.

brwneyes02 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the inequality

(2x-3)(4x+5)>(x+6)(x+6)

Homework Equations

factoring?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to the point where

(7x)^2-14x-51>0 I can't solve this, because it can't be factored out. So am I doing something wrong?
Well, first, it is NOT (7x)^2, it is 7x^2. As symbolipoint suggested, complete the square or use the quadratic formula to determine the values of x at which 7x^2- 14x- 51= 0. Since the graph of this function is a parabola opening upward, the values of x satisfying the inequality will be less than the lower of the two zeros and larger than the larger. The values of x between the zeros satify "< 0".

okay, using quadratic formula I got

x=7+/- sq root of 406 all over 7

(sorry I'm not sure how to write this to make since any other way.)

is this correct?

Last edited:
Yes, those are the solutions to the quadratic equation. Now, what are the solutions to the inequality?

how do i do that?

is it
.00000004? one of them? we haven't had this in class. I'm thinking she wrote this problem wrong.

You may be more successful in fully managing the solution if you just study the parts from the book to fill-in the topics that your teacher has not yet shown you in class.

I already told you how to do that:
Since the graph of this function is a parabola opening upward, the values of x satisfying the inequality will be less than the lower of the two zeros and larger than the larger. The values of x between the zeros satify "< 0".

No, this problem is perfectly solvable. You have already done most of the work. Do you understand that inequalities typically have not a single solution, but a range of solutions?

FAQ: How can I solve this inequality problem involving factoring?

What is an inequality problem?

An inequality problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the relationship between two quantities that are not equal. Inequality problems commonly use symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to represent the relationship between the two quantities.

How do I solve an inequality problem?

To solve an inequality problem, you must first isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Then, you can use inverse operations to manipulate the equation and find the value of the variable. Finally, you must state the solution using the appropriate inequality symbol.

Do I solve an inequality problem the same way as an equation?

No, while equations and inequalities both use mathematical operations, the way they are solved is different. In an equation, the goal is to find the specific value of the variable that makes the equation true, while in an inequality, the goal is to find the range of values that make the inequality true.

What are the important rules to remember when solving an inequality problem?

Some important rules to remember when solving an inequality problem include: multiplying or dividing both sides by a negative number will change the direction of the inequality sign, when multiplying or dividing by a variable, you must consider both positive and negative values, and when adding or subtracting a negative number, you must change the sign of the number.

How do I check my solution to an inequality problem?

To check your solution to an inequality problem, you can substitute the value of the variable into the original inequality and see if it satisfies the inequality. If it does, then your solution is correct. If it does not, then you may need to rework your solution or check for any errors in your calculations.