How can I solve this limit without using l'Hôpital's rule?

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a limit problem that involves using l'Hôpital's rule. However, the student cannot use this rule and is trying to find an alternative solution. Another person suggests multiplying both the numerator and denominator with certain expressions to simplify the problem. The student is confused about how this method will help, but the person assures them that it is a useful method for solving similar problems involving differences with square roots.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.

Can I please have some help with this limit over here

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/targil.jpg/

BTW

I can't use l'Hôpital's rule.

I'm trying to help someone how haven't learned how to Derivative yet.

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Multiply both the numerator and denominator with
[tex](\sqrt{x^2+1}+1)(\sqrt{x^2+16}+4)[/tex] and simplify.

ehild

It will switch between the numerator and the denominator and will change the sign of the 1 and 4.

How can that help?

Thanks a lot.

Ops, that's the solution.

Thanks a lot.

You are welcome. And remember the method, it is always useful when you have difference including square root(s)

ehild

FAQ: How can I solve this limit without using l'Hôpital's rule?

1. Why can't I use l'Hôpital's rule for every limit?

While l'Hôpital's rule is a useful tool for evaluating limits, it can only be applied in specific cases. This rule can only be used when the limit has the indeterminate form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. If the limit does not have this form, then l'Hôpital's rule cannot be applied.

2. What are some common mistakes when using l'Hôpital's rule?

One common mistake is applying l'Hôpital's rule when it is not applicable. Another mistake is not simplifying the expression before attempting to use the rule. It is also important to make sure that the derivative of the numerator and denominator actually approach 0 or ∞ as the variable approaches the limit.

3. Can I use l'Hôpital's rule for limits involving trigonometric functions?

Yes, l'Hôpital's rule can be used for limits involving trigonometric functions as long as the limit is in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. However, the derivatives of trigonometric functions can be complicated, so it is important to simplify the expression before applying the rule.

4. Can l'Hôpital's rule be applied multiple times?

Yes, l'Hôpital's rule can be applied multiple times as long as the resulting limit still has the indeterminate form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. However, it is important to make sure that the derivative of the numerator and denominator still approach 0 or ∞ as the variable approaches the limit.

5. Are there other methods for evaluating limits besides l'Hôpital's rule?

Yes, there are other methods for evaluating limits such as direct substitution, factoring, and using trigonometric identities. It is important to understand the different methods and when they can be applied to find the most efficient way to evaluate a limit.