How Can I Solve This Mathematical Induction Problem?

In summary: That proves the inequality.Unfortunately, I don't see how to prove the inequality using induction. Perhaps somebody else will know how to do it.Hello folks, I have an induction problem that I have been working on, and I am at my wit's end. If anybody could provide me with a nudge in the correct direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I have attempted to factor out a number of terms to find something remotely intuitive here to present and I just cannot find anything. I've managed to come up with (n+1) > a, though I'm not certain that will even help me. The problem is below.a^n - b^n <= n*(a^n-1)*(a-b) hypothesisI used p
eric34
Hello folks, I have an induction problem that I have been working on, and I am at my wit's end. If anybody could provide me with a nudge in the correct direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I have attempted to factor out a number of terms to find something remotely intuitive here to present and I just cannot find anything. I've managed to come up with (n+1) > a, though I'm not certain that will even help me. The problem is below.

a^n - b^n <= n*(a^n-1)*(a-b) hypothesis

I used p(1) for a basis step. for the inductive step of p(k+1) I'm really at a loss here. Any thoughts on how I may tackle this, whatsoever, will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can first prove that \(a^n-b^n=\left(\sum_{i=1}^na^{n-i}b^{i-1}\right)(a-b)\). This can be proved directly by induction or, as explained here, from the formula for the sum of geometric progression \(\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}x^{k}= \frac{1 - x^n}{1-x}\), which can be proved by induction.

eric34 said:
Hello folks, I have an induction problem that I have been working on, and I am at my wit's end. If anybody could provide me with a nudge in the correct direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I have attempted to factor out a number of terms to find something remotely intuitive here to present and I just cannot find anything. I've managed to come up with (n+1) > a, though I'm not certain that will even help me. The problem is below.

a^n - b^n <= n*(a^n-1)*(a-b) hypothesis

I used p(1) for a basis step. for the inductive step of p(k+1) I'm really at a loss here. Any thoughts on how I may tackle this, whatsoever, will be appreciated.
Hi Eric34, and welcome to MHB.

For the inequality $a^n - b^n \leqslant na^{n-1}(a-b)$ to be true, I think you will have to assume that $a$ and $b$ are positive. The inequality can go wrong if $a$ or $b$ is allowed to be negative.

If you assume that $a\geqslant0$ and $b\geqslant0$, then the inequality is true. But I don't see how to prove it by using induction.

To prove it using algebra, you can factorise $a^n - b^n$ as $$a^n - b^n = (a-b)(a^{n-1}+a^{n-2}b+a^{n-3}b^2 + \ldots + b^{n-1}).$$ If $b\leqslant a$ then $a^{n-1}+a^{n-2}b+a^{n-3}b^2 + \ldots + b^{n-1} \leqslant na^{n-1}$, and so $a^n - b^n \leqslant na^{n-1}(a-b)$. On the other hand, if $a\leqslant b$ then $a^{n-1}+a^{n-2}b+a^{n-3}b^2 + \ldots + b^{n-1} \geqslant na^{n-1}$. Multiplying by $a-b$ (which is negative) changes the sign of the inequality so again we get $a^n - b^n \leqslant na^{n-1}(a-b)$.

To prove the inequality using calculus, divide both sides by $b^n$ and write $x=a/b$. The inequality then becomes $x^n-1\leqslant nx^{n-1}(x-1)$, or $(n-1)x^n - nx^{n-1}+1 \geqslant0.$ You can check that, for $x>0$, the function $f(x) = (n-1)x^n - nx^{n-1}+1$ has a minimum value of 0, when $x=1$, and is therefore positive for all other positive values of $x$.

FAQ: How Can I Solve This Mathematical Induction Problem?

1. What is the purpose of mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about all natural numbers. It allows mathematicians to prove that a statement is true for infinitely many cases by only checking a few base cases.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by first proving the statement for a base case, typically n=1. Then, assuming the statement holds for some arbitrary natural number k, it is proven that it must also hold for the next natural number, k+1. This creates a chain of implications that proves the statement for all natural numbers.

3. What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

Weak induction only uses the previous case to prove the next case, while strong induction uses all previous cases. In other words, weak induction assumes that the statement holds for n=k, while strong induction assumes that the statement holds for all natural numbers up to k.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements about real numbers or other mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using mathematical induction?

One common mistake is assuming that it proves the statement for all real numbers, when it only proves it for natural numbers. Another mistake is assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without properly proving the base case. It is important to carefully follow the steps of mathematical induction to avoid these errors.