How can I start studying astrophysics without a physics degree?

In summary, the speaker is expressing their interest in astrophysics and their background in electrical engineering. They are looking for guidance on how to start studying and working in astrophysics, as they are not able to pursue a full-time course. The expert suggests picking up a textbook and supplementing with more specific ones in areas where more depth is needed.
tintinhz
Dear friends,

I have been recently joined in this forum and became really fond of it. I have found lot of knowledgeble persons in here and thought of writing you all, my sincere Request.

I had (and have) got lot of interests on Astrophysics, but unfortunately, owing to some unavoidable circumstances, I had to drop out from college and could not complete my graduation in Physics. But later I joined engineering and completed Electrical Engineering from a reputed college in India.

And now I’m not getting lot much interest in my maintenance Job and also not in a position to go for a full time course on physics.
However, I’m very much interested to do some study and work on astrophysics but is not finding any way to enter into it and don’t know how to start with.

I request you please come forward and help me out, to let me see the right path by guiding how to start with and what are the things I need to study and understand first for the study and work on Astrophysics from the scratch.

With warm Regards
tintin

PS: May please Email me here

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Astrophysics requires most of the standard undergraduate curriculum (typically mechanics, E&M, nuclear and particle, quantum mechanics) with the exception of quantum mechanics. You'll need to learn general relativity, as well as gaining proficiency with mathematical modelling and computer-based numerical simulation.

You might want to go to your local university bookstore and pick up a textbook, and start browsing. I strongly recommend Caroll & Ostlie's "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics." If necessary, supplement it with more specific textbooks in areas where you require more depth.

Good luck!

- Warren

FAQ: How can I start studying astrophysics without a physics degree?

1. What does "Need Guidance from experts" mean?

"Need Guidance from experts" refers to seeking advice, direction, or support from individuals who have specialized knowledge and experience in a particular field or subject area. These experts can provide valuable insights and recommendations to help you make informed decisions or solve problems.

2. When should I seek guidance from experts?

You should seek guidance from experts when you encounter a complex or unfamiliar problem, or when you need to make an important decision that could have significant consequences. Experts can provide valuable perspectives and help you avoid potential mistakes or pitfalls.

3. How do I find the right experts to seek guidance from?

Finding the right experts to seek guidance from can involve researching and networking within your field or industry. You can also seek recommendations from colleagues or professionals you trust, or reach out to professional organizations or associations for guidance.

4. What are the benefits of seeking guidance from experts?

The benefits of seeking guidance from experts include gaining valuable insights and knowledge, receiving personalized and tailored advice, and potentially avoiding costly mistakes. Additionally, seeking guidance from experts can help you build relationships and expand your professional network.

5. How can I make the most out of seeking guidance from experts?

To make the most out of seeking guidance from experts, it is important to approach the interaction with an open mind and be willing to listen and learn. Prepare specific questions or topics to discuss and be respectful of the expert's time and expertise. It can also be helpful to take notes and follow up with any additional questions or next steps.