How can I train data separated into subsets

In summary, the conversation discusses how to perform training on part of a dataset while leaving the rest for testing. The suggested approach involves separating the training set into subsets and using the weights and biases from each subset to train the next one. The conversation also includes a potential loop structure for this process.
chamrik
Hi all,

Maybe i shud put it this way. Suppose I want to perform training on part of the data and leave the rest for testing. the training set is separated into subsets whereby I train one subset first, and use its weights and biases as weights to the next subset and so on. Then how to I write that loop taking into consideration that after I present every sample for training I will repeat the same process. Under normal circumstances we do this:

net = newff(mimax(x),[2,2],{'logsig','purelin'},'traingd');
net = train(net,x,t);

But now I want to perform something like this:

net = train(net,xtrain1,ttrain1);
net = train(net,xtrain2,ttrain2);

Maybe at this stage I can simulate and then if need be train again, go back to the above step.

but how do I present this in a form of a loop?

Please help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could try something like this:

for i = 1:2
xtrain = x(:,i);
ttrain = t(:,i);
net = train(net,xtrain,ttrain);
end

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. To train data separated into subsets, you can use a for loop to iterate through each subset and train the network accordingly. Here is an example of how you can structure the loop:

net = newff(mimax(x),[2,2],{'logsig','purelin'},'traingd'); % initialize the network

for i = 1:num_subsets % replace num_subsets with the number of subsets you have
% train the network on the current subset
net = train(net, xtrain{i}, ttrain{i}); % replace xtrain{i} and ttrain{i} with the data for the current subset

% use the trained network to make predictions on the current subset's test data
ytest{i} = sim(net, xtest{i}); % replace xtest{i} with the test data for the current subset
end

In this example, each subset is represented by the index i. The loop will run for the specified number of subsets, and within each iteration, the network will be trained on the current subset and then used to make predictions on the test data for that subset. You can then use the predicted values to evaluate the performance of the network on each subset.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your training!

Related to How can I train data separated into subsets

1. How do I determine the appropriate number of subsets for my data?

The number of subsets, also known as the "k value", depends on the size and complexity of your dataset. Generally, a larger dataset will require a larger k value. It is recommended to use an odd number for k to avoid ties when assigning data points to subsets. You can also use methods such as cross-validation or elbow method to determine the optimal k value.

2. What is the purpose of dividing data into subsets?

Dividing data into subsets, also known as cross-validation, helps to evaluate the performance of a machine learning model. It allows us to train the model on one subset and test it on the remaining subsets, ensuring that the model is not overfitting to the training data. This helps to improve the generalization ability of the model.

3. How do I choose which data points should be in each subset?

The process of assigning data points to subsets is known as stratification. It is important to ensure that each subset contains a representative sample of the overall dataset. This can be achieved by using techniques such as random sampling or stratified sampling, where the subsets are created based on specific characteristics or features of the data.

4. What are the common methods for dividing data into subsets?

There are several methods for dividing data into subsets, including k-fold cross-validation, leave-one-out cross-validation, and holdout validation. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the size and nature of the dataset, as well as the goals of the analysis.

5. Can I use different algorithms for each subset?

Yes, it is possible to use different algorithms for each subset. This approach is known as ensemble learning, where multiple models are trained on different subsets of data and their predictions are combined to improve overall performance. However, this approach requires careful consideration and selection of algorithms to ensure that they work well together and complement each other's strengths and weaknesses.