How can I understand the Einstein summation convention for vector algebra?

In summary: This is a very basic principle of mathematics, called the distributive property. For example, consider the sum 3(+4)(+5). The parentheses are necessary because 3 and 5 are not like terms--they are both addition operations, but 4 is a multiplication operation. The parentheses let us remember that 3+4+5 is the same as 10. This is an easy property to remember, but it's not easy to apply. It's much easier to remember 3+4+5 than it is to remember 10+8+6. So, by convention, we always write sums of like terms with parentheses, and we write sums of unlike terms without parentheses.
Matt1991
Hi,

I am just starting to learn vector algebra with Grad, Div, Curl etc and have in passing come across Einstein notation which seems to make things much more concise.

The problem I have is in Finding Div(rn r) where r =xi + yj + zk. The unbold r is the magnitude of r.

I have used some basic Einstein notation to make my working shorter but am stuck understanding a certain part of the notation which must be true to lead to the correct answer.

My Working:

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}\((r^n x_{i}) [/tex]

product rule:

[tex] = \ nr^{n-1} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x_{i}} x_{i}+r^n \frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial x_{i}} [/tex]

[tex] = \ nr^{n-1}\frac{x_{i}}{r}x_{i}\

= \ nr^{n} \r \ + \ 3 r^n [/tex]

[tex] = (n+3)r^n [/tex]

My problem is in understanding the step where [tex] \frac{ x_{i} x_{i}}{ r} [/tex] becomes [tex]r[/tex]. For this to happen xixi must be evaluated as x2+y2+z2 (in spatial coordinates) which is the part I am having trouble understanding.

An explanation of this or if somebody could point me towards somewhere where I can get a simple explanation of this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

PS Sorry if the laTeX is bad. Its my first time using it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have made a correction to my original working that I posted. It is now hopefully correct.

Apologies,

Matt

Matt1991 said:
Hi,

I am just starting to learn vector algebra with Grad, Div, Curl etc and have in passing come across Einstein notation which seems to make things much more concise.

The problem I have is in Finding Div(rn r) where r =xi + yj + zk. The unbold r is the magnitude of r.

I have used some basic Einstein notation to make my working shorter but am stuck understanding a certain part of the notation which must be true to lead to the correct answer.

My Working:

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}\((r^n x_{i}) [/tex]

product rule:

[tex] = \ nr^{n-1} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x_{i}} x_{i}+r^n \frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial x_{i}} [/tex]

[tex] = \ nr^{n-1}\frac{x_{i}}{r}x_{i}\

= \ nr^{n} \r \ + \ 3 r^n [/tex]

[tex] = (n+3)r^n [/tex]

My problem is in understanding the step where [tex] \frac{ x_{i} x_{i}}{ r} [/tex] becomes [tex]r[/tex]. For this to happen xixi must be evaluated as x2+y2+z2 (in spatial coordinates) which is the part I am having trouble understanding.
But you are using coordinates x1, x2, and x3 in place of x, y, and z. By the Einstein summation convention, [itex]x_iy_i[/itex] means [itex]x_1y_1+ x_2y_2+ x_3y_3[/itex] so that [itex]x_iy_i[/itex] means [itex]x_1x_1+ x_2x_2+ x_3x_3= x_1^2+ x_2^2+ x_3^2[/itex] which is the same as [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex].

An explanation of this or if somebody could point me towards somewhere where I can get a simple explanation of this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

PS Sorry if the laTeX is bad. Its my first time using it.

Thanks for the response,

Ah right. If that is the convention then I can definitely see why. I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind the convention though.

if xi is simply x1 + x2 + x3 + ...

then I am not sure what the reasoning is behind xi multiplied by itself acting as the einstein notation suggests it does. When I imagine this as its individual spatial coordinates (or as a operations on x1,x2, etc) it seems to me that it should be (x1+x2+...)^2

Obviously my resoning is wrong, I just can't seem to figure out where.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt1991 said:
if xi is simply x1 + x2 + x3 + ...

On its own, xi doesn't stand for a sum. It's just one variable: x or y or z. The summation convention only applies when two variables in the same term have the same index:

xixi = x1x1 + x2x2 + x3x3 = x2 + y2 + z2.

aibi = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3

(Incidentaly, if you're using this convention and you happen to have two variables with the same index in a term but don't want it to denote a sum, just write "no sum on i" or "no sum over k" or whatever the index is.)

You can find out more about the Einstein summation convention here:

1) See http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~martin/mp2h/VTF/lecture05.pdf" course.
(Martin Evans, University of Edinburgh, http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/" )

2) http://www.luc.edu/faculty/dslavsk/courses/phys301/classnotes/einsteinsummationnotation.pdf" by David Slavsky
(Physics 301/Math 355: Mathematical Methods of Physics, Loyola University Chicago)

3) http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~cs20/c/esn-v205.pdf" by Alan H. Barr, California Institute of Technology

4) Via the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_notation" in which Einstein introduces his notation (page 158 of the document or page 8 of the PDF).

5) John Armstrong explains why Einstein introduced his notation in http://unapologetic.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/the-einstein-summation-convention/" .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How can I understand the Einstein summation convention for vector algebra?

1. What is Basic Einstein Notation?

Basic Einstein Notation is a mathematical notation used in physics to represent and manipulate vectors, tensors, and equations. It was developed by Albert Einstein and is also known as tensor notation or index notation.

2. Why is Basic Einstein Notation useful?

Basic Einstein Notation is useful because it simplifies and streamlines complex mathematical equations. It allows for easier manipulation and calculation of vectors and tensors without having to write out each component individually.

3. How does Basic Einstein Notation work?

Basic Einstein Notation uses a combination of upper and lower indices to represent the components of a vector or tensor. Repeated indices indicate summation, while indices that appear only once are not summed over. The notation follows the rules of tensor algebra and can be used for various operations such as addition, multiplication, and contraction.

4. What are the benefits of using Basic Einstein Notation?

The benefits of using Basic Einstein Notation include its ability to simplify and condense equations, its consistency and universality in representing vectors and tensors, and its aid in visualizing and understanding mathematical concepts in physics.

5. Can Basic Einstein Notation be applied to other fields besides physics?

Yes, while Basic Einstein Notation was originally developed for use in physics, it can also be applied to other fields such as engineering, mathematics, and computer science. It is a versatile and powerful notation that can be used in any field that deals with vectors and tensors.