How Can I Understand the Integration Process of this Fraction?

In summary: Integration is a linear operation. That means it satisfies two properties:If c is a constant,\int dx~(cf(x)) = c\left(\int dx f(x)\right)and if g(x) = g_1(x) + g_2(x) + \dots g_N(x)\int dx (g_1(x) + g_2(x) + \dots g_N(x)) = \int dx g_1(x) + \int g_2(x) + \dots + \int dx g_N(x)Heres something confusing me
ampakine
I came across this problem + solution:
http://imageshack.us/m/715/2962/inteyk.png
but I don't understand the calculus there. How can you integrate the stuff inside the brackets but not integrate that fraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ampakine! :smile:

because (1/18) ∫ F(x) dx is the same as ∫ (F(x)/18) dx :wink:

(just like (1/18) df(x)/dx is the same as d(f(x)/18)dx)

A number is a number is a number. A constant is a constant is a constant.

If "C" is a constant (number), whether it happens to have be given as a fraction or not is irrelevant:
[tex]\int C f(x)dx= C\int f(x)dx[/tex]

That should have been one of the very first "rules of integration" you learned.

Ah right, thanks a lot. Any idea how I'd apply that to this one?
http://imageshack.us/m/84/7308/45762731.png
I need to find the value of k so I tried moving the k over like this:
[tex]z \int x^2 (1 - \frac{x}{3})[/tex]
can I do that?

Last edited:
if that z is a k … then yes of course :smile:

ampakine said:
Ah right, thanks a lot. Any idea how I'd apply that to this one?
http://imageshack.us/m/84/7308/45762731.png
I need to find the value of k so I tried moving the k over like this:
[tex]z \int x^2 (1 - \frac{x}{3})[/tex]
can I do that?
You should have
[tex]k \int x^2(1- \frac{x}{3})dx[/tex]
That is, you mean "k" not z and you need that "dx".
And, of course, that is
[tex]k \int x^2- \frac{x^3}{3} dx= k\left(\int x^2 dx- \frac{1}{3}\int x^3dx\right)[/tex]

You should have some basic rules in your book, if you have one, or on the site you're studying.

[tex]\int cf(x)dx=c\int f(x)dx[/tex] where c is constant.
[tex]\int f(x)+g(x)dx=\int f(x)dx + \int g(x)dx[/tex]

Those are what allow you to do what Halls did above.

HallsofIvy said:
You should have
[tex]k \int x^2(1- \frac{x}{3})dx[/tex]
That is, you mean "k" not z and you need that "dx".
And, of course, that is
[tex]k \int x^2- \frac{x^3}{3} dx= k\left(\int x^2 dx- \frac{1}{3}\int x^3dx\right)[/tex]

Oh yeah I meant k not z. I don't know how you broke it up into 2 integrals like that, I just integrated it as [tex]k \int x^2- \frac{x^3}{3} dx[/tex].

TylerH said:
You should have some basic rules in your book, if you have one, or on the site you're studying.

[tex]\int cf(x)dx=c\int f(x)dx[/tex] where c is constant.
[tex]\int f(x)+g(x)dx=\int f(x)dx + \int g(x)dx[/tex]

Those are what allow you to do what Halls did above.
Yeah I obviously haven't practiced integration enough or these things would be 2nd nature to me. When I did calculus in college I focussed mainly on differentiation to get good at it so my integration skills are severely limited.

ampakine said:
Oh yeah I meant k not z. I don't know how you broke it up into 2 integrals like that, I just integrated it as [tex]k \int x^2- \frac{x^3}{3} dx[/tex].
Yeah I obviously haven't practiced integration enough or these things would be 2nd nature to me. When I did calculus in college I focussed mainly on differentiation to get good at it so my integration skills are severely limited.

Integration is a linear operation. That means it satisfies two properties:

If c is a constant,

[tex]\int dx~(cf(x)) = c\left(\int dx f(x)\right)[/tex]

and if [itex]g(x) = g_1(x) + g_2(x) + \dots g_N(x)[/itex]

[tex]\int dx (g_1(x) + g_2(x) + \dots g_N(x)) = \int dx g_1(x) + \int g_2(x) + \dots + \int dx g_N(x)[/tex]

Heres something confusing me. Say I have this function:
[tex]P(X) = kx^2 (1 - \frac{x}{3})[/tex]
and I want to solve for k. I can rearrange it and integrate the function like this: [tex]k \int x^2- \frac{x^3}{3} dx[/tex]
and get
[tex]k \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{x^4}{12}[/tex]
but what's on the other side of the equation? I've seen that k will be the reciprocal of the result I get when I solve the definite integral so does that mean that
[tex]k \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{x^4}{12} = 1[/tex]?

Couple of things: Avoid capitol letters, they traditionally are used for sets, in exception of when used with integration. Variables, like x, should always be lowercase. Also, you integrated incorrectly; it's [tex]k \left( \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{x^4}{12} \right) + C[/tex] where C is an arbitrary constant. (Oh yeah... those are traditionally uppercase too.)

As for solving for k: There's nothing to solve for. You can solve for k in terms of x and P(x), but until you set P(x) equal to a number, there is no number solution to be found. Were did you get such a problem? I've never heard of using integrals in that way.

not really.

ampakine said:
result I get when I solve the definite integral so does that mean that

When you are solving a definite integral, you are evaluating the integral at certain endpoints on an interval [tex] (a,b) [/tex]

So if you have the definite integral
[tex]k\int^{a}_{b} x^{2} - \frac{x^{3}}{3}dx[/tex]

then for an answer you get

[tex] k[\frac{x^{3}}{3} - \frac{x^{4}}{12}]^{a}_{b}[/tex]

[tex]= k[(\frac{a^{3}}{3} - \frac{a^{4}}{12}) - (\frac{b^{3}}{3} - \frac{b^{4}}{12})][/tex]

It is not necesarily true that

[tex]k (\frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{x^4}{12} = 1)[/tex]

unless you have a question that says the definite integral

[tex] k\int^{a}_{b} x^{2} - \frac{x^{3}}{3}dx = 1[/tex]
solve for [tex]k[/tex]

then you can multiply both sides by the recripocal of

[tex] [\frac{x^{3}}{3} - \frac{x^{4}}{12}]^{a}_{b}[/tex]
to solve for [tex]k[/tex].

Hope this helps.

ampakine said:
Heres something confusing me. Say I have this function:
and I want to solve for k. I can rearrange it and integrate the function like this: [tex]k \int x^2- \frac{x^3}{3} dx[/tex]
and get
[tex]k \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{x^4}{12}[/tex]
but what's on the other side of the equation? I've seen that k will be the reciprocal of the result I get when I solve the definite integral so does that mean that
The other side of what equation? The only equation you give before your question is
[tex]P(x)= kx^2(1- \frac{x}{3})[/tex]
defining the function.

If you are referring to integrating both sides of that equation, then you would have
[tex]\int P(x)dx= \frac{k}{3}x^3- \frac{k}{12}x^4+ C[/tex]

But you said "Say I have this function:
and I want to solve for k." I can see no reason to integrate anything. Solving that equation for k gives just
[tex]\frac{P(x)}{x^2(1- \frac{x}{3})}[/tex]

FAQ: How Can I Understand the Integration Process of this Fraction?

1. What does it mean to integrate a fraction?

Integrating a fraction means finding the area under the curve of a fraction function. This involves finding the antiderivative of the fraction and evaluating it within a specified interval.

2. How do you integrate a fraction?

To integrate a fraction, you must first find the antiderivative of the fraction using integration rules. Then, you can evaluate the antiderivative within a specified interval to find the area under the curve.

3. What is the purpose of integrating a fraction?

The purpose of integrating a fraction is to find the area under the curve of a fraction function. This can be used to solve real-world problems, such as calculating the displacement of an object over time.

4. Can all fractions be integrated?

No, not all fractions can be integrated. Some fractions may have complex or undefined antiderivatives, making them impossible to integrate using traditional methods.

5. What are some common techniques for integrating fractions?

Some common techniques for integrating fractions include using integration rules such as the power rule, substitution, and integration by parts. Other techniques, such as partial fractions, can also be used for more complex fractions.

Back