How can I use calculus to find the equation for a curve from given data points?

• Thread starter GiTS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the data in the table is just the value along the X axis and the corresponding area for a normal distribution. The equation for the curve used in creating the z-table is unknown to me. I will answer Qs 1 and 2 soon.
GiTS
Maybe this should be in calculus instead...

I'm getting reaquainted with stats and I ran across the z-table again. I always wondered how the value in the table are populated.

As I understand it, the values in the table are just the value along the X axis and the corresponding area for a normal distribution. Wouldn't this be the same as find the area under the curve using an integral in calculus?

I don't know the equation for the curve used in creating the z-table.

Anyway, if what I said is true, then I should be able to make an equation for whatever curve is generated by the data. I made up some data below with a strong left curve.

X value Y value
1 1
2 2
3 3.3
4 5
5 7
6 9
7 11
8 11
9 9
10 2

1. How do I make an equation using these data points?
2. Once I have that equation, how do I integrate?

Note: I will answer Qs 1 and 2 soon. I am wondering if my original thoughts on how a z-table are created are true. When I asked in class some 2 years ago I remember my prof saying "you don't want to go into that, it's complicated"! :P

Thanks PF crew!

Physics news on Phys.org
We generally use suitable quadrature formula for the integral values. Simpson's 2/3 or Weddle formula are very good with short intervals like 0.1 to 0.5 etc. We can take smaller intervals for higher desired degree of accuracy.
PS. What is Y in your data and how the question of z score arises is not clear.

Last edited:
Thanks for sending me in the right direction.
The Y values are the # of observations.

What's the point of using the Z table at all? I'm trying to predict the likelihood of demand going above the average demand (and by how much). Why can't I just look at the past 10 orders and use a more precise function than a Z table?
I sell t-shirts. Here’s the data for t-shirts sold in the past 10 weeks. (Fictional product and units)
Code:
What I want to know is how much inventory(X) of t-shirts I need to not run out 95% of the time. Basically, what is the x value when the probability (shirts sold < X) = .95.

T-shirt demand doesn’t follow a nice neat normal distribution. There are booms and busts but seldom is the average number of shirts sold. Therefore, I would not want to use a normal distribution.
Some t-shirts have multiple, but predictable, humps. That is, if you plotted the distribution it would have 3 or 4 crests and valleys.
Can I just use the data to make the “z-table”.
I have actually forgotten how to turn those values into a distribution graph. Help on that would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-GITS

Does anyone know how to find the f(x) function for the probability density function? I did not understand the wikipedia article.

The problem is to find the breakeven point between sales and spoilage. I have the mean sales and the standard of deviation for the sales. I know that if the product is sold, I will get $100. If the product spoils I will lose $50. I sell 1000 units on average with a standard deviation of 250 units. How many units should I order above the mean? Basically I am looking for X. Problem is I can't use a z table in a breakeven calculation. I need to have the actual function.

So if the function was x^2 *250x - .5x^2 *250x I could solve for X. As it stands I'm not sure what to do to find said function. It's got to be a simple one given that I only need half the function.

Thanks!

Ideas? The normal distribution curve has to be a polynomial

GiTS said:
Does anyone know how to find the f(x) function for the probability density function? I did not understand the wikipedia article.

The problem is to find the breakeven point between sales and spoilage. I have the mean sales and the standard of deviation for the sales. I know that if the product is sold, I will get $100. If the product spoils I will lose $50. I sell 1000 units on average with a standard deviation of 250 units. How many units should I order above the mean? Basically I am looking for X. Problem is I can't use a z table in a breakeven calculation. I need to have the actual function.

So if the function was x^2 *250x - .5x^2 *250x I could solve for X. As it stands I'm not sure what to do to find said function. It's got to be a simple one given that I only need half the function.

Thanks!

Ideas? The normal distribution curve has to be a polynomial
No. The normal distribution curve is not a polynomial. If N is the "normal function" with parameters μ and σ, then ##\displaystyle N(x;\mu,\sigma)=\frac{e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma})^2}}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}##. This is not a polynomial.

If you want a polynomial, consider ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{d^n}{dx^n}\left.\left[\frac{e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma})^2}}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}\right]\right|_a\frac{(x-a)^n}{n!}##. :smile:

I put the equation into excel and got a line that looks more like an exponential than a normal curve. Mean= 0, Stdev = 2, X=1-99.

GiTS said:
I put the equation into excel and got a line that looks more like an exponential than a normal curve. Mean= 0, Stdev = 2, X=1-99.
Out of curiosity, how on Earth does a line look like an exponential? :-p

You should be careful to put in the equation correctly. The definition of the normal curve is the formula given above.

Related to How can I use calculus to find the equation for a curve from given data points?

1. What is a z-score in calculus?

A z-score, also known as a standard score, is a measure of how many standard deviations a data point is above or below the mean of a given data set. It is used in calculus to determine the relative position of a data point within a normal distribution curve.

2. How is the z-score calculated in calculus?

The z-score is calculated by subtracting the mean of the data set from the data point, and then dividing by the standard deviation of the data set. This formula is expressed as (x - μ)/σ, where x is the data point, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation.

3. Why is the z-score important in calculus?

The z-score is important in calculus because it allows us to compare data points from different data sets on a standardized scale. This makes it easier to analyze and compare data, as well as identify outliers or extreme values.

4. Can the z-score be negative or greater than 1?

Yes, the z-score can be negative or greater than 1. A negative z-score indicates that the data point is below the mean, while a z-score greater than 1 indicates that the data point is more than one standard deviation above the mean.

5. How is the z-score used in hypothesis testing?

In hypothesis testing, the z-score is used to determine the probability of obtaining a certain result by chance. The z-score is compared to a critical value, and if it falls within a certain range, we can reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis.