How can I use integration by tables to solve sin^-1(sqrtx)?

• Thread starter rmiller70015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating sin^-1(sqrtx). The person making the attempt at a solution used a substitution and integration by parts, but made a mistake in the substitution that was pointed out by the other person.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

Integrate sin^-1(sqrtx)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this, I first made a substitution of u=arcsin(sqrtx) so dx=sqrt(1-u)du

Still pretty difficult to solve, so I integrated by parts with v=sqrt(1-u) dw=udu dv=(1/2)(sqrt(1-u))2 and w=(1/2)(u^2)
To integrate this new equation, I used a table to get this: sqrt(1-u)(1/2)(u^2) + (1/2)arcsinu + c

I put this all together and changed the u to arcsin(sqrtx).

I'm wondering if this was a legit way of solving this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:

Homework Statement

Integrate sin^-1(sqrtx)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this, I first made a substitution of u=arcsin(sqrtx) so dx=sqrt(1-u)du

You misused the Chain Rule here.

Likes 1 person
You're right, I just saw that that will leave me with root 1-x du not 1-u, thanks

FAQ: How can I use integration by tables to solve sin^-1(sqrtx)?

What is integration by tables?

Integration by tables is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a function by breaking it down into simpler parts and using a table to organize the values and calculations.

When is integration by tables used?

Integration by tables is typically used when the function being integrated cannot be easily solved using other techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

How does integration by tables work?

The process of integration by tables involves breaking down the function into simpler parts and using a table to organize the values and calculations. The table is then used to find the integral of the function by adding up the values in the table.

What are the benefits of using integration by tables?

Integration by tables can be a helpful method for finding integrals of functions that cannot be easily solved using other techniques. It can also be a useful way to check the accuracy of other integration methods.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by tables?

One common mistake when using integration by tables is forgetting to include all necessary values in the table. It's important to carefully consider the function and make sure all parts of it are represented in the table. It's also important to double check calculations and make sure they are accurate.