How can I use log form to find the constant k in a given equation?

• Thread starter phzxc
  • Start date
In summary, to find the constant k, we can rewrite the equation T = kL^3/2 in log form and plot log T against log L to obtain a straight line with a gradient of 3/2 and a y-intercept of log k. By obtaining the y-intercept value from the graph, we can solve for k.
phzxc

Homework Statement

So, I'm given the equation T = kL^3/2

Data: L= .9, .8, .7, .6, .5 and T=.558, .47, .375, .323, .26 (.9 goes with .558, etc)

I need to find the constant k by changing T=kL^3/2 into log form

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Rewriting the equation in log form" essentially means to take logarithms on both sides of the equation. So, we obtain
[tex]log T = log (k\,L^{\frac{3}{2}})[/tex]​

I'm sure you can go on in further simplifying the expression?

Well, I see you've edited your post with the data.
To solve for k, what we are doing here is actually linearising the relation between T and L so that we can plot a nice straight line.
Simplifying the expression further, we get:
[tex]log\,T = log\,k + \frac{3}{2}log\,L[/tex]​

Clearly, plotting log T against log L (values obtained from your data) will yield a gradient of 3/2 and a y-intercept of log k. This enables you to obtain the value of k.

how does making the relation linear allow me to find k?

phzxc said:
how does making the relation linear allow me to find k?
It allows you to plot a simple straight line graph in the form y = mx + c from which you can extract information from.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, plotting y (log T) against x (log L) will yield a gradient m (3/2) and a y-intercept c (log k). Obtain the y-intercept value from the graph, which is equal to log k, and solve from k from there.

FAQ: How can I use log form to find the constant k in a given equation?

1. How do I change an equation?

To change an equation, start by identifying the variable or variables that you want to manipulate. Then, use algebraic techniques such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division to alter the equation. Be sure to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

2. Can I change an equation without changing its solution?

Yes, as long as you apply the same mathematical operation to both sides of the equation, the solution will remain the same. This is because you are essentially performing the same operation on both sides, which maintains the equality.

3. How do I solve for a specific variable in an equation?

To solve for a specific variable, isolate that variable on one side of the equation by performing inverse operations on the other side. For example, if you want to solve for x in the equation 2x + 4 = 10, subtract 4 from both sides to get 2x = 6, then divide both sides by 2 to get x = 3.

4. Can I change an equation and still have it represent the same relationship?

Yes, you can change an equation in multiple ways while still maintaining the same relationship between variables. For example, you can multiply both sides of an equation by a constant to create an equivalent equation.

5. Are there any rules I should follow when changing an equation?

When changing an equation, it is important to follow the rules of algebra, such as performing the same operation on both sides and maintaining balance. You should also be aware of any restrictions on variables, such as dividing by zero, and adjust your equation accordingly.

Back