How Can I Use Magnetic Field Protractor to Solve for Magnetic Flux?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving magnetic flux and a circuit. Parts (a) and (b) have been solved, but there is difficulty with part (c) which involves using the formula for magnetic flux and the basic law of electromagnetism. The solution involves finding the rate of change of flux, which can be done by taking the derivative.
Silverado

Homework Statement

[/B]
Screenshot 2016-04-11 at 6.png

Homework Equations

R = ρ (l/A)
I = ε/R
s = rθ
Magnetic flux = Integral(B ⋅ dA)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I managed to solve parts (a) and (b) independently. Here is my work for those two parts:

20160411_182020.jpg

My real issue is with part (c) which uses the answers from (a) and (b). I have absolutely know idea how to solve part c, except that it involves in some way the formula Magnetic flux = Integral(B ⋅ dA)

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful with converting mm2 to m2.

So far, you have not mentioned the basic law of electromagnetism that accounts for the induced current in the circuit.

TSny said:
Be careful with converting mm2 to m2.

So far, you have not mentioned the basic law of electromagnetism that accounts for the induced current in the circuit.

Yes, You're right. That law goes as follows:

ε = - the rate of change of flux (sorry I do not know how to write this in the proper notation)

And the induced current is found, simply, through Ohm's law: ε = iR

So how can I, with this, go about part (c)?

Silverado said:
ε = - the rate of change of flux
How do you find the rate of change of a quantity. What mathematical operation is involved?

TSny said:
How do you find the rate of change of a quantity. What mathematical operation is involved?

Take the derivative. So I can take the derivative of part (b). But theta needs to be expressed in terms of the time, t?

Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.

Thank you!

Related to How Can I Use Magnetic Field Protractor to Solve for Magnetic Flux?

1. What is a magnetic field protractor?

A magnetic field protractor is a scientific instrument used to measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

2. How does a magnetic field protractor work?

A magnetic field protractor works by using a magnetic needle that aligns with the direction of the magnetic field. The angle at which the needle points is then measured to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What are the units of measurement for a magnetic field protractor?

The units of measurement for a magnetic field protractor are usually in degrees or radians, depending on the specific instrument used.

4. What are the applications of a magnetic field protractor?

A magnetic field protractor is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geology to study and analyze magnetic fields. It can also be used in practical applications such as navigation and surveying.

5. Can a magnetic field protractor measure all types of magnetic fields?

No, a magnetic field protractor can only measure static magnetic fields. It cannot measure dynamic or alternating magnetic fields.