How can I use R to compute confidence intervals for a Poisson distribution?

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: The dot in the equation represents multiplication, so you can simply use an asterisk (*) instead in R. In summary, to compute the confidence interval for a sample mean from a Poisson distribution, you can use the poissonci.r function in R with the appropriate inputs, as shown in the example.
Artusartos
Suppose [tex]X_1, X_2, ... , X_10[/tex] is a random sample on a random variable X which has a Poisson distribution with mean [tex]\theta[/tex]. Say the realized value of the sample mean is 0.5, i.e., [tex]n \bar{x} = 5[/tex]. Suppose we want to compute the confidence interval [tex] (\bar{\theta}, \underline{\theta})[/tex]. Using the table (for a poisson distribution), show that 0.2 and 0.3 bracket [tex]\underline{\theta}[/tex] and that 0.9 and 1.0 bracket [tex]\bar{\theta}[/tex]. If R is available, us the R function poissonci.r to compute the solutions ot the equations.

I want to use R, but I'm not sure how...

I tried to put the commands:

[tex]poi(4, 10 \cdot 0.2)[/tex]
[tex]poi(4, 10 \cdot 0.3)[/tex]
[tex]poi(5, 10 \cdot 0.9)[/tex]
[tex]poi(5, 10 \cdot 1.0)[/tex]

...because that's what they do in my textbook. But, for some reason, I don't know how to type the dot (between 10 and 0.2 for example) in R...

So can anybody help me please?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
!You can use the poissonci.r function in R to compute the confidence interval. The syntax you need to use is: poissonci.r(n, xbar, level)where n is the sample size, xbar is the sample mean, and level is the desired confidence level. For your example, you would use:poissonci.r(10, 0.5, 0.95)This will return the lower and upper bounds of the 95% confidence interval for the mean, which should be 0.2 and 0.9 respectively.

Related to How can I use R to compute confidence intervals for a Poisson distribution?

1. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing a dataset, while inferential statistics involves making predictions or generalizations about a larger population based on a sample.

2. How do you determine which statistical test to use?

The choice of statistical test depends on the research question, type of data, and assumptions of the data. Some common tests include t-tests, ANOVA, and regression analysis.

3. What is the purpose of calculating measures of central tendency?

Measures of central tendency, such as mean, median, and mode, provide a single value that represents the center or typical value of a dataset. They can help us understand the overall pattern or distribution of the data.

4. What is the difference between a correlation and a regression?

A correlation measures the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables, while a regression analyzes the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables and can be used for prediction.

5. How do you handle missing data in statistical analysis?

There are various methods for handling missing data, including deleting the missing data, imputing values, or using statistical techniques specifically designed for missing data. The best approach depends on the amount and type of missing data and the goals of the analysis.