How Can Input Power Improve Predictions in Scroll Compressor Modeling?

In summary, Ariel is trying to model a water-cooled scroll compressor and is looking for information on mass flow and discharge pressure. She is unsure if she can get this information from the manufacturer, and if she can, she would like to create her own model to be more accurate.
Arielkadiayi
Hi,

I am currently trying to model a water-cooled scroll compressor but do not have enough data to predict output conditions.

At the moment, I can collect inlet and discharge pressure, outlet temperature, water mass flow rate as well as inlet and outlet temperature.

I would like to be able to predict outlet conditions, (Pdischarge and T2) knowing the input power to the compressor experimentally since it takes quite a lot of information to model it geometrically.

Thanks,

Ariel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Collect throughput mass flow and inlet temperature as well . Then it's just simple sums .

Thanks for your reply. However, I have not been able to do that at least for now. That's why I'm looking for an alternative.

Without knowing the air (?) mass flow there is no way of doing a proper energy balance .

I'm sure that there is a way of finding this mass flow - after all it is constant anywhere in the system from first inlet to final discharge .

Any way of fitting a flow meter to inlet or discharge ??

It's a cryogenic cooling unit for nitrogen liquefaction using helium as the refrigerant. I hope to later on back calculated the Helium mass flow rate knowing the amount of nitrogen liquefied but still that wouldn't be accurate. At the moment I can't fit a mass flow meter unfortunately!

Hi Ariel, welcome to the board,
Arielkadiayi said:
Hi,

I am currently trying to model a water-cooled scroll compressor but do not have enough data to predict output conditions.

At the moment, I can collect inlet and discharge pressure, outlet temperature, water mass flow rate as well as inlet and outlet temperature.

I would like to be able to predict outlet conditions, (Pdischarge and T2) knowing the input power to the compressor experimentally since it takes quite a lot of information to model it geometrically.

Thanks,

Ariel

A screw machine is a positive displacement type of compressor but it will have considerable slip during operation so mass flow drops as discharge pressure increases. The manufacturer should be able to give you discharge pressure and temperature along with flow rate for any condition. You'll need to know what that is before you can try and model it because the slip will vary depending on pressure differential and could be quite large.

Can you get mass flow from the manufacturer, and if you can, why do you need to create your own model?

Related to How Can Input Power Improve Predictions in Scroll Compressor Modeling?

1. What is a scroll compressor?

A scroll compressor is a type of positive displacement compressor commonly used for compressing air or other gases. It consists of two spiral-shaped members, one stationary and one rotating, which create a series of gas pockets that gradually decrease in size and compress the gas.

2. How does scroll compressor modeling work?

Scroll compressor modeling involves creating a mathematical model of the compressor based on its physical characteristics and operating parameters. This model is then used to simulate the compressor's performance under various conditions, allowing engineers to analyze and optimize its design.

3. Why is scroll compressor modeling important?

Scroll compressor modeling is important because it allows engineers to predict the performance of a compressor before it is built, reducing the need for costly and time-consuming physical testing. It also allows for optimization of the compressor design, leading to more efficient and reliable systems.

4. What factors are considered in scroll compressor modeling?

Scroll compressor modeling takes into account factors such as the geometry of the scroll members, the type of gas being compressed, operating temperature and pressure, and the rotational speed of the compressor. Other factors, such as leakage and heat transfer, may also be considered depending on the complexity of the model.

5. How accurate is scroll compressor modeling?

The accuracy of scroll compressor modeling depends on the complexity of the model and the amount of data used to develop it. Generally, more detailed and accurate models require more computational resources and data, but can provide a high level of accuracy in predicting compressor performance. However, physical testing is still necessary to validate the model and ensure its accuracy.