How Can Lambda be Derived from Gauss's Law for an Infinite Line of Charge?

In summary, the electric field at a distance of 0.490 meters from a charge of 2.52 * 10^-10 C is 770 N/C.
beer
Given the following information:
An infinite line of charge lies long the z-axis. The electric field a perpendicular distance 0.490m from the charge is 770N/C .

We're asked to do the following:
How much charge is contained in a section of the line of length 1.20cm ?

The answer is 2.52*10^-10 C. I reached the answer by plugging the known values into the following formula:
q = 2π r L ε0 E

That formula was given on a website. And it kind of makes sense.

I'd like to be able to derive THAT formula from the following formula:
E = (1 / 2 π ε0) (λ / r)

Which is the general formula for finding the electric field in both a cylinder or a wire. I'm getting tripped up on lambda. Is it possible to derive the second formula from the first? I'm having a hard time maniuplating lambda to make it work. I know lambda is charge per unit length, but can someone help resolve this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
This was moved but it isn't a homework question. I answered the question already...

I'm looking for discussion on ways to deduce one formula from the other. This has little to do with the question. Can this be moved back to the correct section?

beer said:
This was moved but it isn't a homework question. I answered the question already...

I'm looking for discussion on ways to deduce one formula from the other. This has little to do with the question. Can this be moved back to the correct section?
It is a homework-type question; You're asking how to derive a formula. The homework section is appropriate.

Did you try solving your second equation for λ? Since λ is the charge per unit length, if you multiply λ by a given length you get the amount of charge associated with that length.

The only time I've repeatedly used lambda was in the study of mechanics - primarily statics and the like, where lambda was, essentially, a vector divided by it's magnitude.

In the case of my post above, what is lambda equal too?

λ = E 2π ε0r

That's just algebraic rearrangement, though. In the first formula in the original post, lambda isn't included in the equation. Instead, there is L, representing length. My question is - are the two formulas related? If so, there is some connection between them, lambda, and length. It seems like an obvious connection, but I can't deduce one equation from the other.

I ask because the question is conceptually simple, but I'd not have been able to solve it with the equations I initially had at hand. (I'm probably over looking something rather obvious.)

Essentially, it would seem, if the two are connected then lambda is equal to some arrangement of q and length. Charge per unit length. q/L perhaps.

Is it really that simple? ?:)

Yes :) I cannot see why you doubt it.

E = (1 / 2 π ε0) (λ / r)

Rewrite by multiplying the two fractions:

E = (1 λ) / (2 π ε0 r)

Multiply with the denominator on both sides:

2 π ε0 r E = λ

Rearrange:

2π r ε0 E = λ

Compare to the other formula:

q = 2π r L ε0 E

In this, divide by L on both sides:

q / L = 2π r ε0 E

Insert the first formula:

q / L = 2π r ε0 E = 2π r ε0 E = λ

So: q / L = λ

In other words, λ is charge (q) per length (L) as qneill mentioned.

beer said:
Is it really that simple? ?:)

Sometimes things in physics really do turn out to be simple. :D

If charge is uniformly distributed along a line, then λ = q/L has the same value for any section of any length L, containing a corresponding amount of charge q.

It's always a pleasure to check old replies and see what I thought was confusing a few weeks ago now makes great sense. :)

Thanks for the help guys! I have my electrostatics exam tomorrow night. I feel mostly prepared for it.

Related to How Can Lambda be Derived from Gauss's Law for an Infinite Line of Charge?

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the electric field at a point to the amount of electric charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point.

How is Gauss's Law used to deduce lamda?

Gauss's Law can be used to deduce the charge density, or lamda, by taking the flux of the electric field through a closed surface and dividing it by the permittivity of the medium.

What is the significance of Gauss's Law in electrostatics?

Gauss's Law is essential in electrostatics as it allows us to calculate the electric field at a point due to a distribution of charges, without having to consider each individual charge separately.

What are the assumptions made in using Gauss's Law to deduce lamda?

The assumptions made are that the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface, the charge distribution is continuous, and there are no other external electric fields present.

Can Gauss's Law be applied to any charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any charge distribution, as long as it follows the assumptions mentioned before and the surface chosen for the calculation encloses the charge distribution completely.

Back